PDA

View Full Version : Zoomed Thermostat

Leighanne
10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Ok, lets say three racks high. Could a Zoomed 500 Thermostat handle heat tape for three?? Also, can it do two at the same temps and put one on lower temps, or would I have to buy another device for the lower temped one? Thanks.

wcreptiles
10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
If you are talking about the Zoo Med 500R thermostat with probe for about $32.95. Referenced by the below quote from the LLL Reptile website below.
---------------------------
"Simply set the dial to the desired temperature, and the thermostat will do the rest. Ideal for use with heat pads and ceramic heat emitters.

Note: Holds combination of up to 500 watts."
--------------------------
This thermostat would maintain the same temperature in all the racks plugged into it. You need more than one probe to control different heat zones.

I don't know if 500 watts would be enough for three racks, might be just don't know. Remember to use the same thermostat for two different cages or racks the heating elements must be identical to be maintained at the same temperature.

If you have three racks and need two at one temperature and one at another buy two of the ZooMeds and you should be able to set it up that way. I'm guessing 500 watts should be enoughs for two racks.

Do you think you might go with this thermostat? I don't think you can find one any cheaper.

droogievesch
10-12-2006, 10:33 PM
If that is indeed the thermostat you were talking about I would not go with it at all. When it comes to thermostats you get what you pay for. I bought a Helix and couldn't be happier.

FireStorm
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I have a Zoo Med 500R. I bought it when I got my first BP, but I recently upgraded to a Helix. The Zoo Med isn't bad, especially for the price. Like wcreptiles said, you would need a separate thermostat for the lower temperature enclosure. As far as the wattage, it will handle 3 UTHs depending on the sizes (I'm not sure how heat tape compares), but it only has two outlets, so you couldn't plug all 3 in without some type of extension cord. One I didn't like about the Zoo Med was that it doesn't display the temp. that it's set at (it just has a dial), so it takes some trial and error to get it set to the right temp. You can't beat the price, though (I bought mine for about $24 + shipping on ebay and it was brand new). If you want to know who I bought it from, I can look it up. He had other reptile supplies for sale, too.

I hope this helps,
Shelly

tstrenuous10
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
i have it right now on my snake tank. Yes this is only one but it didnt take me too long to get it all set up. i plugged it in and when i saw my light go out i looked at the temp and said "It's too cold in there right now. I don't want it to turn off right now" so i turned it up.