PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

loye
10-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Is it ok to feed baby dwarf hamsters to a ball? I normally feed baby mice, but someone has a bunch of dwarf babies that they need to get rid of

hhmoore
10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
you can...but what if the ball decides it likes hamsters better?
Always be careful, and consider the availability (and cost) of such things - it certainly isn't unheard of for a snake to decide it likes one prey item vs another, and subsequently refuse the formerly taken item. I had a JC/D that was stuck on gerbils for years, and I, as well as a few people I personally know, have offered different prey items only to run into this very problem

hhmoore
10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
the above is not meant to say don't do it, just think about it, and don't feed all the hamsters in succession - hamster, rat/mouse, hamster, rat/mouse

SPJ
10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Exactly what he said. :rofl:

You may find out that your snake decides it wants on hamsters which could make it very expensive to feed as well as hard to find hamsters when needed.

shrap
10-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Nutritionally there is probably no or little difference.

Just keep in mind that they may not eat them, or could acquire a taste for them and not want to go back to mice/rats. Neither of those things would happen for certain, or are even likely. But it does happen with enough frequency that you should take it into consideration.....

Some Balls are Hoovers and will eat anything you put in front of it..... others can be quirky and very selective. I have a couple Balls that wont eat male rats and a couple that wont eat dark colored rats (one of which is also one that wont eat males). Most of mine eat rats (of any gender) only, but I have a couple that insists on a mouse every month or so or it goes off feed. The others wont touch a mouse. Go figure....

SPJ
10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Nutritionally there is probably no or little difference.

Just keep in mind that they may not eat them, or could acquire a taste for them and not want to go back to mice/rats. Neither of those things would happen for certain, or are even likely. But it does happen with enough frequency that you should take it into consideration.....

Some Balls are Hoovers and will eat anything you put in front of it..... others can be quirky and very selective. I have a couple Balls that wont eat male rats and a couple that wont eat dark colored rats (one of which is also one that wont eat males). Most of mine eat rats (of any gender) only, but I have a couple that insists on a mouse every month or so or it goes off feed. The others wont touch a mouse. Go figure....

Gotta love how they always keep you guessing. :rofl:

darkbloodwyvern
10-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I would recommend finding someone with a corn snake if you don't want to risk getting your snake hooked on hampsters (Hamsters Anonymus?). Corn snakes will eat almost anything you put in front of them, regardless of species and usually size and live versus frozen doesn't matter to them either. Also, make sure the hams are healthy, don't want to give your snake intestinal parasites just because the initial food item is free! de-worming or buying hamsters at 6.59 a pop is not a good way to save m oney in the long run if you have any doubts.

LadyOhh
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Take the hamsters, sell them as pets, use the money and buy your mice! :)