PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a good forum?

Mike Greathouse
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Since this is probably the most active forum that I visit, I thought that I would post this question here.

What is it that makes people come here?

I have recently set up a small forum, no I'm not trying to compete with Fauna.
It simply got me thinking, what is it that makes people visit and return to any forum.

Obviously, ease of use and content both play a major role, but it seems like there are many forums out there that just never take off.

In the ultimate wisdom of the Fauna members, what is it that brings you here day after day?

I have my own ideas (especially when it comes to Fauna), but I think it would be interesting to hear what the others hear think about this.

Thanks,

Lucille
11-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I first came to Fauna several years ago after a long hiatus from reptiles while raising my children.
I think that what makes a site a good site are the following factors:

1) It makes newcomers feel welcome
2) Newcomer type questions are answered without an air of superiority, and people who visit willingly help one another with their questions and challenges.
3) There is some sort of internal consistency, that one may become part of a community, see the same people from day to day, and have reliable guidelines for forum behavior
4) That one is protected from stalkers and trolls and flame wars, at least in areas where one genuinely seeks information
5) That there are areas for chitchat, but these areas are segregated so that those who have a genuine information quest can locate a forum and search for an answer without wading through a lot of irrelevant material
6) That those in charge are fair, reliable, and people of integrity and who take the time to listen to the concerns of those on the board
7) That overall, a site have a positive reputation and build its site to last rather than depend for traffic on the peaks and valleys of dramas and feuds.
8) That whatever the site may be known for, people recognized as experts in their field feel comfortable in visiting and discussing substantive matters with the members just to advance the state of the field.
9) That those who have interests in buying and selling have an area that is easy to navigate to set up to vend or to look to purchase.

Mike, I don't know if these are the sorts of things you had in mind?

WebSlave
11-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Man, I wish I knew the answers to those questions myself........... :shrug01:

The BoidSmith
11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Mike,

In my opinion shear numbers are not what define a good forum, but as you stated content will. What's the most visited forum on this site? I don't have an answer to that but I suspect that probably the BOI. Is that the most valuable forum on this site? It depends on how you look at it. If it's used for what was originally the intent I think it is. When it is hijacked by anyone that's there to just cause trouble the it is not. Just opinions...

Regards

shrap
11-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I go to different forums for different reasons. Some forums I spend time there to help new keepers, others because I enjoy the interaction with many of the members and to build relationships with other herpers, and others I frequent to educate myself on the many aspects of this hobby and the animals themselves.

As far as Fauna specifically it is certainly a mix of all of the above. And to keep myself informed on laws, scammers, quality breeders, news, etc, etc.

Mike Greathouse
11-06-2006, 05:07 AM
I first came to Fauna several years ago after a long hiatus from reptiles while raising my children.
I think that what makes a site a good site are the following factors:

1) It makes newcomers feel welcome
2) Newcomer type questions are answered without an air of superiority, and people who visit willingly help one another with their questions and challenges.
3) There is some sort of internal consistency, that one may become part of a community, see the same people from day to day, and have reliable guidelines for forum behavior
4) That one is protected from stalkers and trolls and flame wars, at least in areas where one genuinely seeks information
5) That there are areas for chitchat, but these areas are segregated so that those who have a genuine information quest can locate a forum and search for an answer without wading through a lot of irrelevant material
6) That those in charge are fair, reliable, and people of integrity and who take the time to listen to the concerns of those on the board
7) That overall, a site have a positive reputation and build its site to last rather than depend for traffic on the peaks and valleys of dramas and feuds.
8) That whatever the site may be known for, people recognized as experts in their field feel comfortable in visiting and discussing substantive matters with the members just to advance the state of the field.
9) That those who have interests in buying and selling have an area that is easy to navigate to set up to vend or to look to purchase.

Mike, I don't know if these are the sorts of things you had in mind?

Great post Lucille.
I'm not sure that this Utopian forum actually exists anywhere, but it is definitely something to strive for. Unfortunately, human nature seems to dictate that in order to grab and hold our attention, we require a bit of drama as well. Most people don't want to look at a car wreck, but cannot avert their eyes.

Mike Greathouse
11-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Mike,

In my opinion shear numbers are not what define a good forum, but as you stated content will. What's the most visited forum on this site? I don't have an answer to that but I suspect that probably the BOI. Is that the most valuable forum on this site? It depends on how you look at it. If it's used for what was originally the intent I think it is. When it is hijacked by anyone that's there to just cause trouble the it is not. Just opinions...

Regards

Dan,
Great point as well. While my initial post was not intended to point out shortcomings on Fauna, the hijackings do appear to be on the rise.

One thing that I have noticed recently is that when the hijackings and mud slinging are going strong, the informational forums seem to slow down. Conversely, when things calm down, the more serious discussions seem to thrive again. I don't have any hard data to back this up, but that's my perception.

WarrenReptiles
11-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I think a main pillar if a forum will be successful or not is if its subject matter is something that people want/need and is not already available in a hundreds of other forums. You have to captivate an audience and set the tone for the community and with a little success it will increase exponentially. Once you get hundreds of like forum communities I think it comes down to loyalty, atmosphere, ease of use, and supply of new conversation that will keep them coming back.