PDA

View Full Version : Popping Question for Breeders

LadyOhh
11-10-2006, 11:20 PM
So I have popped and probed for a long time, but something I have tried to figure out but have been unable to find any information on is this...

What are the tiny red "semi-penes" as I call them, in females when you pop? I have been told (jokingly) that they are the snakes clitori?

I attempted to take a picture, but my camera will not take such detailed macro shots.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

hhmoore
11-10-2006, 11:58 PM
they're the hemipenial homologs

hhmoore
11-10-2006, 11:59 PM
lemme find a good explanation

hhmoore
11-11-2006, 12:01 AM
from vpi.com:
These outpockets are female hemipenial homologs, the developmental equivalent of hemipenes in male snakes. These paired funnel-shaped structures become increasingly narrow, ending in connective ligaments that continue toward the tip of the tail to insert on posterior subcaudal vertebrae, as do hemipenis retractor muscles.

tstrenuous10
11-11-2006, 11:16 AM
I have tried to pop my snake but it just feels like I'm going to hurt my snake. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I have looked on the site that shows probing and at the bottom talks about popping but when I tried it nothing happened and I didn't want to damage my snake.

kellysballs
11-11-2006, 11:59 AM
If your not sure just don't do it. Call a breeder in your area to have them show you how. Or if you cant find a breeder call the local colleges and there should be a teacher or proffesor in their biology dept. that specializes in Herps and you can ask them to show you. I learned from a breeder and had that knowledge reinforced by a proffessor at the local college. It does take practice though.

LadyOhh
11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks...

I liked my "Semi-pene" theory, but couldn't find anything in any of my reptile anatomy books to compare it to.. I guess I was kind of right.

:)