PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Disaster

Wolfy-hound
11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I got home today to find my cinnamon female ATE (YES ATE< CONSUMED!!!!!!) the MALE cinnamon! I swear to GOD!!! I put them together for breeding and she ATE him. She is quite bulky now. I feel SO much like pulling her head off and getting him out!
I am so devestated, absolutely. I really needed cinnamons for my project, and I have almost a dozen adult females, his pick of which for this year! They were to be shared between him and my spider and my pastel, and the cinnamon female Tina.. ATE him. I can't get over that. I absolutely feel like completely getting out totally.
I know that people have had pythons eat each other, but... these were breeding.. cooled properly, everything!
They didn't LIVE together, they have their own bins! I put him in a day ago, and even was desperately looking through all the bins to see if somehow she just got hugely fat overnight by herself, and he had been magically transported to another bin.
Devestated is,
Wolfy

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
11-15-2006, 05:13 PM
wow......I never heard of any such thing before........
That really sucks~
and what a distinction to be the first to have this happen

I'm really sorry for you~
Let us know if the female survives or not

markface
11-15-2006, 05:43 PM
as cheryl said , that really sucks ! sorry to hear about such a messed up situation . i hope she survives .

Mark Schmidtke
11-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Wow, thats just awful. I've heard of that happening before, but it was always third hand news, like 'I heard a guy who knew a guy whos brother had it happen to them' kind of a thing. I've never heard from someone who actually had it happen with ball pythons. I've had it happen myself with corns, another species that aren't supposed to be a snake eaters, and I've always wondered how common it is for ANY species of snake to eat another of it's own kind. I'm sure it happens, but I bet not a lot of people would be willing to talk about it.

Thank you for sharing your experiece with us, even though I know it must be just devestating. All knowledge is good

Mark

INSANE CANES
11-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Wow.. :( :(

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Wolfy-hound
11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
She seems fine. Smug even. I hate her. I'm devestated. Heres a picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/wolfy-hound/P1010256.jpg

clarinet45
11-15-2006, 06:55 PM

The BoidSmith
11-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Theresa,

I'm sorry to hear that. There was not a chance that the male had been fed shortly before putting them together right? The smell of rats or mice on him could've triggered a feeding response on the female. One way or the other is a horrible loss.
But don't be too hard on yourself, things happen... :(

Wolfy-hound
11-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Neither had been fed. He was roughly half her size.
I'm just so discouraged that my breeding project is now BUPKISS and that's what I was really hoping for this year. I dunno.
wolfy

Bill & Amy
11-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh no!!!! So sorry to hear that Theresa!!! :(

Mike P.
11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow - Very sorry to hear this :(

Mooing Tricycle
11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Dang.... Im so sorry for your loss...

I cant even belive that he was in there for only a short time too! Feel free to curse her out for the rest of her life... im sure she deserves it...

worldcupkeeper
11-15-2006, 07:52 PM
sorry to hear about your loss, but cannibalism in boids by all acounts is stress related and has nothing to do with hunger.

Is the pic you posted a pic after she ate him?

Mooing Tricycle
11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Im also curious, you never... by chance saw them lock up together at all even during the short time they were together did you? At least that way it would be some sort of crazy luck.... and at least a better turn out than nothing at all... *hugs*

Casey Hulse
11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Can you feel him inside her? It should be easy to palpate her belly. The reason I ask is because I had a 5' boa eat a 4' boa once, I was devastated also! I found the eaten boa hiding in the broom closet 2 weeks later (he had escaped). Very sorry to hear, but I hope you are wrong! Goold luck.

worldcupkeeper
11-15-2006, 08:13 PM
I found the eaten boa hiding in the broom closet 2 weeks later (he had escaped). Very sorry to hear, but I hope you are wrong! Goold luck.

I hope thats the case aswell, ive seen pictures of ball pythons that have eaten each other and you can clearly see the snakes outline inside the other.

NathanLedet
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
wow i can't even imagine how upset you are. I really hope you don't give up...

Wolfy-hound
11-15-2006, 08:30 PM
you can feel the hard/firm area in about 2/3s of her body. That is a picture of her now, but it doesn't look like she does in person. Esp if you look at her belly... I find myself wondering if she'll fit into my blender(not really, but I AM angry). I'm SO mad. I talked to someone who offered to take her in return give me some of the hatchlings(he has a cinny male to breed with her) so I may do that. I just can't even look at her without calling her names.
wolfy

LadyOhh
11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I have NEVER heard of that before... That is very strange.

I'm very sorry for your loss though...

Cat_72
11-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh man Theresa, I am SO sorry!! I've had that thought cross my mind when putting young males in with bigger females before, but it's just one of those things you don't think will actually happen..... :(

I know it would be hard, but try not to be mad at her. She was just responding to some weird instinct that we will never understand...

Wolfy-hound
11-15-2006, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't mistreat her, but yell at her and think REALLY bad thoughts at her? Dang sure will. I know its not that she is evil, just weird. I'm just so mad! She just sits there looking all smug. She will probaly regurge him early tomm so it sits in the bin all day until I get back after work and have to clean up his body.
Wolfy(Thanks for all the sentiments guys)

varnyard
11-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Theresa, I am sorry to hear about this. And thats one dang expensive meal. What luck!! :( :ack2:

ginevive
11-15-2006, 10:21 PM
I am really sorry for your loss; don't know what else I could say. Mind-boggling.. That is awesome that someone offered to breed/give you hatchlings though; I wouldn't give up.

Lauren Summey
11-15-2006, 10:43 PM
:eek: Oh WOW, I've never heard of anything like that happening with Ball Pythons... :shrug01: I am so sorry for your loss, I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now... :( So sorry! :(

Schlyne
11-16-2006, 01:27 AM
I'm shocked and horrified. I'm sorry about your loss.

darkbloodwyvern
11-16-2006, 02:33 AM
"I find myself wondering if she'll fit into my blender(not really, but I AM angry). I'm SO mad. I talked to someone who offered to take her in return give me some of the hatchlings(he has a cinny male to breed with her) so I may do that. I just can't even look at her without calling her names."
wolfy

you should take them up on it, but be sure they have her monitered at all times when the male's in with her!! ahhhh!!! :ack2: I got into balls because they were the most innocent and non-cannabalistic snakes i could think of!

O_O I will be up with my snakes breeding/getting chomped nightmares for a long time!
I am so sorry and i hope you can recoup your losses. poor little dude...
~jessi

FireStorm
11-16-2006, 05:49 AM
That's just awful! I'm soooo sorry for your loss. :(

MorphCapital
11-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

chimelle
11-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Wow that is crazy.........................I'm so sorry to hear that.

Melissa_Khrs
11-17-2006, 01:28 AM
So how is the evil queen doing today? Regurge or no?

Wolfy-hound
11-17-2006, 09:21 AM
No regurge yet. She looks quite happy to sit there digesting my pride and joy. Monster.
Wolfy

Bill & Amy
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
No regurge yet. She looks quite happy to sit there digesting my pride and joy. Monster.
Wolfy

Sounds like she might make it then. I was worried about your girl and wishing the best for you Theresa.

SiscoReptiles
11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I'd weigh her now. I am sure you have a recent weight for her since you know she was large enough to breed. The weight right now should be equal to her weight and his weight combined, if not, hopefully he did get out somehow.

Rick

Pink Lady Exotics
11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Great idea. Wolfy, did you get to weigh her and see if she did in fact eat him?

Melinda
11-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd weigh her now. I am sure you have a recent weight for her since you know she was large enough to breed. The weight right now should be equal to her weight and his weight combined, if not, hopefully he did get out somehow.

Rick

Great idea!! I'm crossing my fingers that the fella escaped and will be found soon.

Otherwise, I am so sorry!!

The BoidSmith
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Why don't you spend some money on X-rays? I'm pretty sure that for $50 you can still might be able to determine if there are still bones in her digestive tract.

Regards.

Wolfy-hound
11-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd prefer to not stress her. Trying to get her still enough for a xray would be stressful. By her weight, she ate him. Sigh.
She still seems happy enough to sit and digest.
Wolfy

The BoidSmith
11-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Well my thoughts are that there might be a slim chance that the male escaped, and the one that's stressed right now could be him. Of course if you feel her girth suddenly change after the male vanished, chances are he was eaten.

regards.

ravensgait
11-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Wow sorry to hear this Theresa... Randy

Bella17
11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Im really sory for you loss! thats rediculous!! you should tremind the female that she is A ball python.. not a praying mantis... But with all hope in mind.. maybe she just.. got fat? and he escaped.. maybe...:\ good luck...

garweft
11-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Man, that's gotta be the worst. I am really sorry for your loss. I had to leave the computer and go check on my young male boa that's in with a big girl.

I bet this happens more than most think it does, especially with younger males.

Wolfy-hound
11-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Guess what I found in the bin??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/wolfy-hound/Tony11-27.jpg

No!! I do not know how, why, when...
I have removed her multiple times, I have taken the bin OUT to clean it twice, I have NOT seen the bin open at all. There are multiple theories as to how... but my personal favorite is that my snakes are attempting to murder me by anuerism.
I apoligize to EVERYONE here for this entire thread seeing as Tony was only in another dimention. I'm terribly glad he is not being digested, and although he is slightly thin, otherwise looks fine.
Wolfy

The BoidSmith
11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm really glad that you found him.

Regards.

Cat_72
11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, very glad to see that he reappeared!!!

The only question that remains in my head now is.......if her weight went up by that much, who DID she eat??? :shrug01: :rofl:

Mooing Tricycle
11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Holy crap!!!! im TOO happy you found him!!! Thats just AWESOME luck!

garweft
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Maybe it was like Jonah and the whale. :shrug01:

Anyway I bet your glad he's back. :thumbsup:

joyful girl
11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
so you never actually weighed her?

if so, how did she equal enough for you to think she ate him?

Wolfy-hound
11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
I DID weigh her. She weighed approximately 500 grams more than the last weight. I still don't know how she gained that weight while not eating.
Welcome to my world of serious weirdness.
Wolfy

Casey Hulse
11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Excellent!
I figured he'd turn up. Congrats! :) :thumbsup: :?party:

FireStorm
11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
That's great news! Where do you think he went? :shrug01:

markface
11-27-2006, 08:38 PM
glad to hear he's not a snake snack . maybe your female is a marsupial ball python . did you check her for a belly pouch ?

LadyOhh
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
CONGRATS on finding him!!!!

Melinda
11-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Yay!! he showed up alive.

MorphCapital
11-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Awesome!

darkbloodwyvern
11-28-2006, 03:53 AM
y'know, some snakes are known for their genetic predisposition to travel to other dimensions to hunt um... dimensional mice? he was bringing them back to his girl, so that's why she got fatter. It's one of those elaborate ball python mating rituals, the male is howing her he can provide for her during her nesting period he will never actually be around for.... ???

wow, that is so bizarre!!! but i'm really glad he came back from neptune or whatever. The space-snake girls just weren't as hot as the one back her on earth, i guess!
Hope this time they will just have sex instead of interdimensional travel!! :D

darkbloodwyvern
11-28-2006, 03:56 AM
glad to hear he's not a snake snack . maybe your female is a marsupial ball python . did you check her for a belly pouch ?

wow, and i thought humans had wierd fetishes! your snakes have a kangaroo kink! :rofl:

again, glad he is safe and sound!

Wolfy-hound
11-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Yet another theory, they had a fight and he was sleeping on the couch. However... I don't have a couch, so he had to go elsewhere.
haha.
Thanks for all the well-wishes.
W.

ravensgait
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
LOL well that is good news. I agree with your assessment he's trying for a blown vein..Randy

renland
11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Congrats on finding him!!!!! Now all he needs is a nice warm meal and some ladies...

6y0ballpython
11-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Oh my God, do not put him back in with females if he is hungry, tired and thin. He needs a month to recooperate or at least two weeks. Mating is a very stressful and strenuous process for the male. Some even die because they exhaust themselves to death.....be careful......

catawhat
11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Wow, I am thrilled to hear he is back safe and sound! Very perplexed but happy for you :thumbsup:

Lauren Summey
11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh wow, I am SO glad to hear that you found him and that he's alive after all! :) I'm sure you're thrilled to have him back... Congrats! :)

jasballs
12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Damn! I was hoping to see if she shat out a pewter!!

cris78
12-03-2006, 06:24 PM

OMG...i laughed so mucj at this thread :) :rofl: :rofl:

dieb69
08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
:angry:i would literally kill that snake

hhmoore
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
:angry:i would literally kill that snake

So, nearly 6 yrs later, which snake would you kill? The female that didn't really eat the male, or the male that the OP found alive and well?

preacher
08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
If you remember the story, what happened to the kid that cried wolfy all the time?? :yesnod: :NoNo:

:rofl:

snakesRkewl
08-06-2012, 11:17 PM
So, nearly 6 yrs later, which snake would you kill? The female that didn't really eat the male, or the male that the OP found alive and well?nice old thread Harald, :rofl:
I want 10 minutes of my life back now, thank you very much :NoNo:

B&C Ball Pythons
08-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Coffee on my monitor at work! Thanks for bringing up this old thread. Was an entertaining morning read :)

Kingofspades
08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I was about to freak out seeing as this was the first time I had heard of ball python cannibalism, but them read that it was a mishap.
Glad he wasn't devoured and you can not hate your female. Haha.

Ohhwataloser
08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I've seen epic bumps, 6 years with that comment tho.... one of the best.

Mooing Tricycle
08-07-2012, 09:18 PM
LOL what a great thread. :)

LadyOhh
08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
LOL! I remember this...

hhmoore
08-07-2012, 11:27 PM
nice old thread Harald, :rofl:
I want 10 minutes of my life back now, thank you very much :NoNo:

Hey, don't blame me - I'm not the one that dragged it up from the depths.