PDA

View Full Version : picked up a new female ball python today

markface
11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
well , i picked up a new female ball today . she came into the shop last night as a donation . when we got her she had 2 layers of shed over her whole body with atleast 3 layers on her head . i'm not sure how many retained eye caps she had but you couldnt see her eyes at all . i spent 2 hours last night getting all the old shed cleaned off of her and she turned out to be a very nice looking although very skinny critter . when she probed female i decided i was going to get her . i talked to my boss this morning and even though i offered to pay for her he let me have her for free i should have started working in a petshop years ago , lol .

i got her home about an hour ago and weighed and measured her . she is about 41 inches long but only weighs 678 grams my male poss het is only 32 inches and out weighs her by 70 grams . she was being fed 2 mice once a month by her previous owner . well now she will be getting a proper diet and hopefully next year she will be ready to meet up with my male pastel .

i got a couple real quick pics before putting her in her new home to settle . she is IMHO a very pretty snake with lots of blushing and shows all the markers for a het pied . i doubt she is , but who knows . anyways here are the pics hope yall enjoy .

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/mbryner/IM000837.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/mbryner/IM000838.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/mbryner/IM000839.jpg

thanks for checking her out .

tstrenuous10
11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
two mice a month. if thats not often enough what IS? I feed mine medium mice twice a month since it wont eat any more no matter what i try (except live)

Bill & Amy
11-15-2006, 07:57 PM
two mice a month. if thats not often enough what IS? I feed mine medium mice twice a month since it wont eat any more no matter what i try (except live)

:bandhead0

markface
11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
i agree with you bill . :ack2:

Ginger Ambrose
11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
:iagree:

LadyOhh
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Very pretty...

Semi-off topic:

FEED YOUR SNAKES!!! Once a week! Cardinal Rule.... (at least) Once a week!!!

droogievesch
11-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Very pretty...

Semi-off topic:

FEED YOUR SNAKES!!! Once a week! Cardinal Rule.... (at least) Once a week!!!

And here I thought I was teaching my snakes to be gluttoneous by feeding them once a week. If they take it they must want it, and if they don't then I don't worry since I know they'll be given the opportunity in a week anyway. I guess I've never seen a 'fat' snake...and all of mine seem to be happy and growing nicely :D

markface
11-16-2006, 02:13 AM
thanks heather .

i dont see how anyone could think that 2 mice a month is enough food for any ball python .

darkbloodwyvern
11-16-2006, 02:21 AM
agreed. you should OFFER a mouse or two per week, even if they don't eat it. most pet stores are very genial as long as you keep the mice fed overnight.

tstrenuous10
11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
agreed. you should OFFER a mouse or two per week, even if they don't eat it.

Offering is different. I offer once a week but the snake chooses to feed every other time. If it doesn't eat this weekend (i feed on sundays) it will be 3 weeks.

LadyOhh
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, that is different...

This is the season for going off feed right now, but what you posted sounded like you only feed your snake two mice per month, which is WAYYY too little.

Keep trying, or switch to Rats. See if that will change your snakes mind..

tstrenuous10
11-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm on rats right now. I'm actually feeding right now. I'm going to leave it in with my snake overnight (prekilled) because sometimes when it won't strike it will eat if left alone. its a small rat I got from petco. 40g I think is what the bag said. My snake is about 3 feet.

Biscuit71
11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I picked up a female ball that was fed one mouse every other week. When I got her last december, she weighed 800 grams. As soon as I got her, I fed her, and I offered her mice, and she ate 5 at a go, next meal, i fed her a small rat, and so on. I have had her almost a year now, and she is just under 2000 grams. She is a great eater, and I feed her a large rat every other week.

tstrenuous10
11-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I wish mine would eat that much in one feeding. Maybe I should switch back to mice so it will eat more. During summer I could get it to eat 2 small rats each time. once a week

darkbloodwyvern
11-24-2006, 03:37 AM
I picked up a female ball that was fed one mouse every other week. When I got her last december, she weighed 800 grams. As soon as I got her, I fed her, and I offered her mice, and she ate 5 at a go, next meal, i fed her a small rat, and so on. I have had her almost a year now, and she is just under 2000 grams. She is a great eater, and I feed her a large rat every other week.

that's awesome, she is huge!! glad she just needed the opportunity to eat more!