PDA

View Full Version : Housing Question

loye
12-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I was just wondering if it would be ok to temporarily keep a snake in a vivarium (i think that's what it is called...the screen cages i'll post a pic). i am going to be rescueing another snake and currently only have a 10g and this viv. I am waiting on a check (then i'm buying an appropriate cage). Will this be ok for now? The 10g is way to small for it.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/loye_86/BlingLeos-1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/loye_86/BlingLeos2-1.jpg

Chris Steele
12-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know what a vivarium is exactly, because I never pay attention, I make my own cages. I would assume that if the bottom is screen that would not be good. Also, if the sides are made of wire screen that would be bad, but if it is cloth screen on the sides I wouldn't think it would be bad, but I don't know for sure. As long as the bottom is solid, the sides are cloth, and you are able to keep the humidity and heat good in it I don't see any problems. Personally I wouldn't let my dogs anywhere near my snake cages though, especially ones they can tear into.

loye
12-02-2006, 07:22 PM
The whole thing is like a cloth type screen, not metal. The bottom has a plastic tray to keep from making a mess. It can but used as either a long or tall cage. I used to keep my Leo's in it for a while until their new cage came in...Bling likes to lay and watch them, he'll lay thier for hours! The snake would only be in there for a short period of time, and I'd keep it up on my dresser, not where he could get to it.

Chris Steele
12-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Well then I see no problem as long as his environmental factors are taken care of. The reason I say I wouldn't let my dog near them, besides the fact that he may tear the cage open and kill them, is that a dog would kill them in the 'wild', so I would imagine this would cause the reptile stress.

The BoidSmith
12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
There are a couple of concerns. One is that the environment will dry too fast. The snake might have trouble during the shedding cycle. The other one is that it might rub it snout against the mesh trying to get out. Although this might seem minor, I've seen snakes with quite a nose rub lesion done against regular mosquito mesh.

Regards.

loye
12-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I was thinking about it drying out too...so I was thinking of getting like plixi-glass maybe? and putting it up around the sides (on the inside of course) so that it wont rub up against the screen. And getting some holes put in the glass to allow circulation. But, she should only be in there for about a wk...until my local pet shop gets in the tank i need for her.

The BoidSmith
12-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I was thinking about it drying out too...so I was thinking of getting like plixi-glass maybe? and putting it up around the sides (on the inside of course) so that it wont rub up against the screen. And getting some holes put in the glass to allow circulation. But, she should only be in there for about a wk...until my local pet shop gets in the tank i need for her.

That would probably work.

regards.

Chris Steele
12-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Hell if you are going to put plexi glass on it you might as well build a simple cage and not go to the petstore. It'd be cheaper anyway. That is what I was saying Dan, to make sure it isn't mesh and to make sure the humidity is high enough, which would really have to be controlled entirely by the humidity of the entire room due to full screen sides.

Sadie
12-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Low humidity doesn't matter at all if you're talking about a week's time. If it happens to be the same week that the snake sheds, you can soak it. The only negative I can see is that you would be moving the snake twice instead of just once and creating more stress for it. Also heating may be an issue if the bottom is screened as well?

Chris Steele
12-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Good points Leah, I didn't see that it was for a week, the bottom isn't screen though, so I guess it'll be all good, stress excluded.

loye
12-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I had thought of building an enclosure, but not really sure how to go about it. I saw a very nice looking one made, anybody know how? Or maybe know someplace where i can get directions or something on how to do it lol. I'm not very good at doing stuff like that on my own lol. Thanks again!

The BoidSmith
12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Emily,

You can buy a large sweaterbox in WalMart or any other retailer and build a wooden drawer in wich the sweaterbox will slide snuggly. You can go to a Menards or Do-It-Center and they will cut the pieces for you according to your specifications. A few screws and a screwdriver and you are all set. A "Cobra" heat pad towards the back of the drawer is more than plenty to provide heat if the enclosure is inside your house.

Regards.