PDA

View Full Version : Odd question for those that breed rats...

renland
12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
How old do rats have to be to be self sufficent and away from mom? I'm asking because one of my friends loves rats, and I gave her an extra adult male that I had that ended up passing away. She really wants a pet rat, and I have many fancy rat pups on the ground. I would love to give her a baby or two for the holidays, but I'm wondering if they will be big enough in the two weeks or so until Christmas. They are about a week old at this point, I think (two litters born a few days apart). Will they be the perfect holiday gift, or will I be giving them after the holidays? Thanks in advance!

kellysballs
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I just looked at a couple of rat web sites. My gut feeling is about 4 wks old. The web sites say anywhere from 3 weeks all the way up to 5 weeks. I would think the largest babies that are eating mostly feed would be fine for a christmas present. She could also supplement their food with soft high protien stuff like boiled eggs for a week or two just to help them out.

jglass38
12-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I separate them by sex at about 4-5 weeks. Also, if they are getting a rat as a pet, it should have a buddy to hang out with. Rats are social creatures and do better with company.

shrap
12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
They are capable if surviving without mom after 3 weeks in most cases. 4 is better though.

And as Jamie said, rats are best kept in pairs or small groups. They are very social creatures and REQUIRE having cage mates to live a happy fulfilling life.

renland
12-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Thank you for the responses. I will most definitely be giving her a pair of little rattlings then, same sex of course. Though the main goal of having my rats is to breed for feeders, I feel bad when I actually have to feed a rat. I get attatched too easily, especially when they get markings. White rats, fine, but colored....and I HAD to pick out pretty breeders. Lol. Oh well, at least two of the prettier ones will be going to a good pet home. If only rats gave birth to f/t pups, life would be good. <g>

Scott Nellis
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey, no problem...just get yourself a very, very, very small battery powered refrigeration unit...a very small backpack harness for said reefer unit...some micro surgery on prospective rat moms to implant the tiny freon tubing around the birth canal...and your all set! Just switch the unit on when she starts birthing, and Voila...frozen rat pinks on demand...(oooooo, that's gotta hurt)...LOL!!

Scott Nellis

Cat_72
12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey, no problem...just get yourself a very, very, very small battery powered refrigeration unit...a very small backpack harness for said reefer unit...some micro surgery on prospective rat moms to implant the tiny freon tubing around the birth canal...and your all set! Just switch the unit on when she starts birthing, and Voila...frozen rat pinks on demand...(oooooo, that's gotta hurt)...LOL!!

Scott Nellis

Only a MAN could come up with that plan........ :rofl: :rofl:

Leighanne
12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Hey Renland I have to ask because I've been wondering but did you euthanise those Rats that were sneezing?? I just wanted to spread the word that they all sneeze.

darkbloodwyvern
12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
that i took to the vet, they had lice and respiratory infections. neither of them were sneezing, just acting sluggish. they had been kept outside in the cold, which probably helped with both health problems.

renland
12-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Actually, that male that I heard sneezing a while back ended up becoming very sick and passed away. The breeders I have now occasionally sneeze, but it's the normal rat sneeze, not illness related.