PDA

View Full Version : Is my ball axanthic?

Valley Dragons
12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Okay, as I have mentioned in the past, I am just delving into th world of ball python morphs, so I am unsure of what is considered desirable in a snake. I have had my large female, "Buffy", for 6 years. She is a pet and has never been bred. I know nothing about her background or where she came from. My husband and I decided to buy a normal male a while back. I thought, wow, this male is so much prettier than Buffy. Buffy is just plain old silver-gray. Blah. And then as I have done more research I have noticed that she looks a whole lot like what is called an axanthic ball python. She does not have the yellows like my male. Is it possible that I could have an axanthic? How do you tell? Are there any markers? Can it only be proven by breeding her? I posted a couple of pictures...see what you think!

Jamie

Wolfy-hound
12-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm not an expert on axanthics.
First I'd say without going out to GET a morph your chances of having one is slim.
Second I'd say that YOUR female looks a darn sight MORE axanthic than a lot of axanthics I've seen for sale. Maybe its not genetic, maybe it is, maybe its a quirky gene.
I think she is gorgeous. IF she was axanthic though, you do realize NONE of the babies will look like her if she is bred to a normal male right? You'll have to raise the babies to breed them back to her or to each other to see if it breeds true. Axanthic is a recessive gene if I remember right.
If she does produce babies that look like her, then I'd say it might be something else, and you'd have quite the find.
She is probaly a normal with odd coloration, but I like her and wish you BEST of luck on proving it out.
Wolfy

cris78
12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
wow..stunning

LadyOhh
12-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Not Axanthic, but very light and pretty...

Melinda
12-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Very nice!! If that were my snake, I would breed her with an axanthic to see what pops out.

darkbloodwyvern
12-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Yes, i can't tell most REAL axanthics from normals, but she certainly looks good. I would see if you could get a proven axanthic or 100% Het male to breed her to and see what happens, Probability is that she isn't, but you may find a new genetic morph. Worst situation, you will still have a hot looking snake!