PDA

View Full Version : any advice?

aceman3
12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm looking to start a venomous collection mid-summer time.
I've never owned any venomous before, so I was wondering what
would be a good starter? Something thats fairly docile and is
good to learn with? If anyone has advice, let me know.
Thanx, Jeremy

cris78
12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Do you have any experience handling hots? Get at least 3 plus yrs handling experience before you start your own collection.

aceman3
12-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I've been around them some. I probably don't have
enough experience yet, thats why I'm waiting a while.
But once I've got the experience needed, and when
I've got all the required permits, I'm looking for a
good first. I'm not near ready yet, just wanted to get
some experienced handlers' advice as to what would
be a good start. I am not about to jump into getting anything
without the experience needed. After all, thats why theres so
much fuss about owning them to start with.

SoulSmilen
12-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Just a note; owning venomous reptiles in Florida will require a licence and the only way to get the licence is to have verifiable experience and references.

An excerpt from the FWC application for the license:

Provide documentation of a minimum of one year experience (to consist of no less than 1000 hours) within the family(s) of venomous reptiles, for which the permit is requested. Include a description of the specific experience, dates and location(s) where acquired. Include no less than two reference letters from individuals having personal knowledge of your stated experience.There is much more to consider than the experience and licensing, as well; I suggest finding someone that is willing to work with you and then take things from there. You may decide it's not for you.

This is a very big step and I'm sure you'll get more advice, but I wanted to give you a heads up to Florida regulations. They're there for a reason - a good reason - play it smart and do it right.

aceman3
12-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I am definately planning on working with some
local venom owners and having them show me things.
I definately am getting plenty of experience and knowledge first too.
I very well could decide its not good for me to do, but I want
to at least have advice and opinions to help either way. I've
looked into all of the FL regulations/laws. I have always had an
interest in hot herps. I am also looking for any local hot herp owners
who are willing to show me some things and teach me. I know they're
nothing to play around with, thats why I'm trying to get advice and
knowledge, and some experience if anyone can offer that.
THanx again for your concern though. THanx for the info on the
laws as well.

SoulSmilen
12-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Gotcha; it stood to reason you didn't know about the regulations since you were talking about starting a collection mid-summer and that's not possible with the minimum time and hours required.

At any rate, good luck on finding someone to mentor you. In answer to your question on a good 'starter,' you will hear different answers from different folks, and what species you get to work with in your training will probably have more to do with determining what the best starter is for you, specifically.

Finding that mentor may prove more difficult a task than the actual time and hours involved, as well. If you already know someone who knows someone, etc., that would be a good avenue to start with. Join your local herp society (that will put you in touch with SHHS folks, too) and put yourself out there letting it be known that you're seriously interested. You're likely to get further and find someone willing if you go that route rather than showing enthusiasm on venomous forums and boards. Don't take that to mean you shouldn't have posted here, it's great that you're looking for advice. Now go that extra mile and put the effort into doing this 'right' and if this is something that's for you, your chances of more safe and successful keeping will be considerably higher.

Your profile doesn't show your age, but keep in mind, that will also be a factor if you happen to be a minor.

aceman3
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM
I am in fact a minor. I turn 18 in
January. I am fully aware that you have to be 18 or older
to even be considered for a license. I am not going to start
training untill I turn 18 either, just in case. From what I'm
reading, it may be a few more years before I get the licensing
and everything. I am still interested in getting some locals to show me some things, after the 12 of next month anyways. THanx, Jeremy.