PDA

View Full Version : pied recipe?

alexinwunderland
12-29-2006, 01:53 AM
hi everyone my wife and i would really like a piebald but 1200 bucks is not an amount that we can just come up with so my question is, is there a less expensive way to get one , for example would two 100% hets produce a pied or would i need a pied ??? thank you in advance

chris hatchell

darkbloodwyvern
12-29-2006, 03:50 AM
Hi there,

To my knowledge most pieds are selling for more than $1200. The 100% het pied pairs are selling for $1000 at the cheapest I've seen. You could get a 100% het male and a couple 50% het females for probably $500, but consider that would take you at least a couple years to raise the male to breeding size and that would include at leats four years for the females to all get big enough, plus you would need to buy cages and heating and food for all of them.

So if all you want is a pied, consider the cost of raising these animals to their breeding size, versus the cost of saving up a couple gradn over the next two of three years. If you only want to breed to get the pied, you might want to just save up for one.

If you love bp's for what they are without the pied, go the breeding route. I am planning on breeding my hets once the female is up to snuff, but it may end up costing me the same amount as waiting and buying one. I am ok with that because I want to breed snakes, or at least give it a good try.
Not trying to be discouraging, but while hets can seem less expensive, depending on how much time and money you want to invest in a non morph animal, it may not neccessarily be the option you want to take. However, if you think you want to give raising and breeding a shot, it is definately fun watching little snakes grow up, and if you get a 100% het male and some 50% or 66% het females from reliable breeders, you have a pretty good shot at getting what you want-in about three or four years, unless you are lucky enough to find a cheap female het that is older than '06.

good luck!

alexinwunderland
12-29-2006, 03:55 AM
the breeding idea does interest me i have totaly loved watching my normal grow up over the last year i got "her" when she was 9 inches now she is over three feet its awsome to watch your work pay off but back to the point thank you for the heads up i appreciate it alot
chris hatchell

darkbloodwyvern
12-29-2006, 04:08 AM
cool, then I would advise you to look for good deals on het and possible het females, it is really neat watching them grow up, and I LOVE babies, even if i don't keep them all, I know of a great local petstore where i know they can find safe and happy homes.

I wasn't sure if you were into balls, or just liked the pieds. Some people seem to just like the morphs, but I think they are such awesome snakes in both morphs and just in general, so good luck in whatever you end up doing- I'm sure you'll have fun! :D