PDA

View Full Version : Novice ball owner could use some advice....

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
well to start this off, I'm a novice in ball python keeping. I just know the basics pretty much. I know what to do to take good care of him, but would li8ke some guidance if can be offered. First, does anyone know of a good URL describing the construction for a humidity box? Right now I'm using my rat snakes old one, that he grew out of long time ago. And it's extremely old and warped, being it's made outta plain lumber. It works and he seems to appreciate it, but I would like to provide better for him. I pretty much just spray the inside down in the mornings, and provides a place of medium to high humidity. 2nd I will put up a picture of his setup, and if anyones would, leave a comment and tell me if you see anything wrong or that I need.

And last, I'm familiar with certain morphs, such as piebalds, and spiders.... but it's very limited knowledge. But for my own enlightenment/education could you tell me by his pics if he is just a normal? Because in maybe 5 years, when I know more I was thinking about breeding. And would just like to know what I have, ie... het for anything, or looks good for a certain morph project, if you can tell that by the pics. Thanx to all for the help and support, ya guys are great.

Oh and he's a very hardy eater. Needs no enticing. Still training him to take f/t though. Still eating live pinks, till I can get him to take f/t.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
oh and that is a 75 gal tank.

Schlyne
01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
He looks like just a normal.

It's better to provide two identical hides that are snug enough so that the snake can feel more enclosed, and therefore more secure. Then when you have to identical hides, you can put one on the hot side and one on the cool side. If the hides are of different sizes, the snakes are more likely to choose a more secure hide than the one that has the better temperature.

I have not built a humid hide for a ball python, but for my leopard geckos I use a gladware sandwich container. I cut an entry hole in the side and melt the edges of the hole so that they are smooth. Then I can use moss or wet paper towels inside the container to provide enough humidity. So if you can find a Tupperware or other similar plastic container that would be a suitable size for your ball, you can apply the same principles.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
thank you for that info. I really appreciate it.

Scott Ashton
01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm not a fan of anything in an enclosure that can't be cleaned - including the log hide that you have.

I appreciate your efforts at creating an aesthetically pleasing environment which is also suitable for your animal. You may want to consider getting a pair of the natural looking hides that are mad of plastic or resin. They can be cleaned and disinfected yet retain the aesthetic appeal of the real logs they are patterned after. As mentioned the hides that you choose should be snug and provide an enclosed environment (avoid products that have two open ends).

You also need to avoid using items manufactured from lumber, because many of the woods used in building materials contain aromatic oils which can actually harm your BP.

Are you using a screen-style aquarium lid?

Ed Clark
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Very nice looking normal BP, love the blushing and flames on that guy. best of luck with him! :yesnod:

ToshaMc
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Is there some reason why he is only feeding on pinks? Pinks are generally used for small hatchlings - a snake that size (I'm guessing he looks to be about 500+ grams) should be feeding on much larger prey like wean or small rats.

He looks nice congratulations on the addition.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
aight let me try and get the order of responses correct, lol.

Scott, I'm working on a humidity box. I used a plastic medium dog food bowl, cut a hole out and I'm using plexi-glass for the underside. But everything, including the log, i pour boiling water on the items and then bake them for about an hour in the oven at 300 degrees(keeping a close eye on it ha). Creates a very pleasing earthy aroma through the house. hahaa. Anywho, is this not a good idea? I got the info to do this sometime back, off the internet. I' don't do this for plastic items, of course.

And thank you Ed. Though I did not understand the flame part. Like I said, my knowledge is very limited. But yes he is a very nice addition to my collection. He's extremly docile, and not really quick to ball up. Pretty much does what he wants in your hands.

And lastly, ToshaMC. Well the person I got him from was only feeding him pinkies. and your right he is pretty big. I don't know if the guy knew what he was doing. Because he said it was about 8 months old, yet he's about 2 1/2 feet maybe 3. So I'm not sure on the age. I've only had him since Sunday. I tried feeding him a f/t male mouse.... about medium sized one. my males tend to be smaller than my females, dunno if that's normal, anyways not the point..... he didn't show any interest at first, when I put it front of him, yes it was warmed. So I dragged the mouse with tongs, and he targeted on the movement, came up to it but didn't take it. I didn't want to try giving him a live one and have him get bit. So I gave him 3 live rat pinks. Took them down one after the other. So I'm trying to get him to take f/t. I'm gonna buy some scent. Does that work for you? Anyways, thank for the input guys.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 07:16 PM
oh ya, I'm not sure on the weight, I've not gota scale yet.... Speaking of which, anyone recommend a brand and type? And maybe place to get one?

Schlyne
01-16-2007, 07:47 PM
He may have imprinted on rats. Ball pythons are imprint feeders, meaning that they'll stick to one particular type of prey item. If you can get a rat pup or a small rat, he may be more interested in that, as opposed to a mouse.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh ok, I didn't know that. I breed my own mice and rats for my other snakes. I will try that his next feeding.

oh and I forgot an answer to a question, yes I'm using a screen lid. Why is that bad? If so what should I use?

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 08:07 PM
nad I apologize, my judgement by eye is bad, he's between 2 and 2 1/2 ft.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok I went and took the advice, and as I told you guys, I used a dog food bowl (cleaned and disinfected) from when I had a dog. I will replace the log this weekend. here's two pics of what I did. You can just make out Hercules inside. The the other you will see him ontop of the moss. I grow my own moss also for my other snakes.

Cat_72
01-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I imagine the screen lid question was asked to determine the need for a "humidity box"....IMO, it's much better for a Ball to just maintain the proper humidity for them throughout the whole enclosure, as opposed to in one small area. Screen lids can make it tougher to maintain proper humidity, as does using an overhead heat source.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
oh well hey there Cat. So what should I use for a top? And should I just use a under tank heat strip or pad? I have a pan of glass I can cover the screen with and use a under tank heater. Would that ok?

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 09:55 PM
oh well hey there Cat. So what should I use for a top? And should I just use a under tank heat strip or pad? I have a pan of glass I can cover the screen with and use a under tank heater. Would that be ok?

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
And I apologize for the term "humidity box", didn't really know what to call it. lol.

Melinda
01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
If he were mine, I would give him a nice meal of rat pups, then wait 2 weeks and offer a f/t rat pup. He can easily eat a small rat.

How often is his feedings??

Cat_72
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Humidity box is a fine term, lol....I just think Balls do better when they have overall humidity. Putting a pane of glass over the majority of the top, and trying to use the UTH will help, but you will need to keep an eye on the humidity and temps. If you must use some overhead heat to keep temps up, you can mist the tank occasionally to keep the humidity levels where they need to be.

And yeah...he should be eating much larger prey items. I'd definitely bump up the size of rats he's eating....but change one thing at a time, either the size or live to f/t. Offering him something toally different is going to be a much bigger change that he is less likely to accept.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
hmmm, ok. Thanx, well a guy I know that operates a store, Mike, said to feed him between every 6-8 days for his age. He said that when he grows about another half a ft. to feed him every 10-14 days. Is this true? This is my first ball. It's not that I'm not capable of taking care of my snake, I have just been confused from hearing different things. So I just wanted to try and get better consensus. Figured this would be the place to find it. Guess it is. Thanx

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 10:04 PM
ok, thanx, what should the humidity? I have one somewhere around here

Cat_72
01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I try to aim for 55-60% humidity.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 10:08 PM
sorry bad english, what should the humidity read? at what level? and temp should be around 90 correct? I'm doing the misting thing. And he seems to be thermal regulating moving from warm to cooler.

HerpGuy
01-16-2007, 10:08 PM
oh ok. thanx cat

Cat_72
01-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I try to keep a basking spot temp of about 92, and ambient temps mid-80's.

Ed Clark
01-16-2007, 11:52 PM
oh well hey there Cat. So what should I use for a top? And should I just use a under tank heat strip or pad? I have a pan of glass I can cover the screen with and use a under tank heater. Would that ok?Try the exo terra heat wave under tank heat pad. works well and relatively inexpensive. you will need a dimmer or thermostat to control the heat out put. just take it one step at a time, theres alot of info in this thread and good luck! :)

HerpGuy
01-21-2007, 10:58 AM
hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't anything lately, I've been working alot and with my new baby and all, but I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone, Ed Clark, Scott, ToshaMC and Cat for the help, advice, support and good wishes. Thanks again guys... sorry if forgot to mention anyone.