PDA

View Full Version : Registering a DBA and EIN?

Xelda
01-18-2007, 12:12 AM
What are the steps necessary to becoming an actual registered business? I can find a bajillion sites that advertise doing it all for me, but is that the best way to do it? I'm mostly concerned about registering my business name, obtaining a business tax ID, and probably a seller's license.

varnyard
01-18-2007, 12:14 AM
What are the steps necessary to becoming an actual registered business? I can find a bajillion sites that advertise doing it all for me, but is that the best way to do it? I'm mostly concerned about registering my business name, obtaining a business tax ID, and probably a seller's license.

This will help you, you can do it yourself. :)
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Jim O
01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Olivia,

The only thing I would add is that you may need a state or local license and/or registration. All states are different. In your case I would contact the Kansas Department of Commerce (http://www.kansascommerce.com/) and the local tax office in your city or county. They can tell you what you need in addition to your FEIN which can be done online through the link Bobby provided.

Xelda
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the help. I figured I would update everyone here. I obtained my business tax ID through the IRS site by filling out an online SS4 form. It was free, and I got my tax ID in the mail about a week later. Apparently Kansas does not even do DBAs, but from what I've read, a DBA doesn't offer any legal weight if someone were to start using your business name. And the city I live in doesn't require me to obtain a business permit since I'm not having people come to my home to buy from me. (You should still check to see if you're required to register with the city though.)

The best part of all this is that my tax refund nearly doubled after I reported my BugChick.com income. Granted, after startup costs, I ended up losing a little bit of money. My bugs occupy a significant amount of space, so I got to write off part of my rent and utilities as business expenses. I'm keeping track of everything now: mileage for dropping off packages, costs of supplies, etc. It feels good to run things like a real business. Hang onto those receipts!

varnyard
02-28-2007, 07:05 PM
I had to register with the city, as well as getting a business licence, but I do not sell from my home. I went incorporated and became a S-Corp. This will save some bucks on taxes at the end of the year, as long as I file Sub Chapter S.