PDA

View Full Version : Sick Python: need help

HerpGuy
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
I know what's what's wrong with my ball python, Hercules, he has URI. I know what to do for him..... what I need help with is the name of the meds I need and where to get them. I don't want to have to pay outta my rear for the vet to perscribe it when I can get it online. I just can't remember the name of the meds. I think one starts with a b.... byz-something. anyways, anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

mrwenninger
01-25-2007, 12:20 AM
You are probably thinking about baytril. I am a veterinarian. Baytril may work if you have a bacterial respiratory infection that has no anaerobic component. As many things can cause "uri" in snakes I would recommend having your snake seen by a veterinarian. Things such as tracheal chondromas, fungal pneumonias, viral pneumonia, and pentastomiasis cannot be treated with antibiotics. Also, many bacterial infections are resistant to baytril because it is over-used and used in situations that do not warrant antibiotic therapy. Just my opinion,
Michael

darkbloodwyvern
01-25-2007, 03:57 AM
A good herp vet will know exactly how to help your snake, doing it yourself may not do much. I work for a vet who does exotics and while you do pay a lot, the meds, lab tests and labor involved are expensive.
How much is your snake worth to you if its dead? I don't want to sound like I'm accusing you of being cheap, but usually the right meds and care for an animal are indeed expensive, but they are in the best interests for your pet. I am just very serious in saying that the best and only route for us snake owners is an experienced and knowledgeable vetrinarian. Snakes are some of the more expensive pets I have owned, and i get reminded of that about every other day.

I wish you good luck and hope your hercules has a fast and safe recovery!!

NorthernRegius.com
01-25-2007, 09:06 AM
A good herp vet is what you need, RIs can be tricky as stated. If you call ahead, they can let you know the costs, which may be less than you think.
Best Wishes on Hercules' recovery. -Deb

LadyOhh
01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
As everyone has stated, go take your animal to an experienced reptile vet.

You may think you know what is wrong, but you are not a vet and are not licensed to practice veterinary care on your animal. It may be something absolutely different from what you thought.

Please, take care of your animal, and take it to a good reptile vet.