PDA

View Full Version : Help! Possible URI?

inked1
01-29-2007, 09:45 AM
I got home from work this morning, and went in to get out my female as I always do, and I heard a few whistling like noises when she breathed. I'm not sure if I am freaking out over this or not, but I definitely did not hear it yesterday when I had her out. I have never really had a sick snake before, and I'm not sure if I should bring her to the vet right away, or if I should wait a few days? Do they have an immune system like a human to fight it off, or are antibiotics necessary for this? She still ate fine on Saturday when I fed her, and still seems to be keeping up with her normal activities.

I'm not sure if I am an overly concerned "parent", or if my worry is justified. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cat_72
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
I got home from work this morning, and went in to get out my female as I always do, and I heard a few whistling like noises when she breathed. I'm not sure if I am freaking out over this or not, but I definitely did not hear it yesterday when I had her out. I have never really had a sick snake before, and I'm not sure if I should bring her to the vet right away, or if I should wait a few days? Do they have an immune system like a human to fight it off, or are antibiotics necessary for this? She still ate fine on Saturday when I fed her, and still seems to be keeping up with her normal activities.

I'm not sure if I am an overly concerned "parent", or if my worry is justified. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you don't have any experience dealing with RI, your best bet would be to go ahead and see a vet. Until you can get her in, bump her ambient temps up just a couple of degrees, and keep a close eye on her. Can you look inside of her mouth to see if all looks normal in there? If you've caught it early enough, it may be something she can fight off with a temp and humidity increase, but it never hurts to get a vet's opinion. He may or may not prescribe antibiotics, if it is indeed a RI....at least you'll know for certain, and can rest easier knowing that your baby is being taken care of.

inked1
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Thank you for the advice, I had already called the vet, and Bonnie is going in for an appointment tomorrow morning. I also just bumped my rheostat up just a little bit, and misted her enclosure. I really hope it's nothing serious, but just like with my son, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Is there anything else that I should do? My other snakes are for the most part in the same room, as well as my dart frog viv, should I move her or them into a different room or part of the house, or is passing this on to the others not really something I should worry about?

Cat_72
01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
If you can move her into another room without too much hassle and stress for her, it wouldn't be an awful idea...I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

That said, it really does sound like you caught it very early on, if indeed it is a RI, and she should be just fine. Let us know what the vet has to say...good luck!

inked1
01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, i brought Bonnie to the vet yesterday. The vet told me that she does seem to be in the beginning of a URI, but that as of now it is nothing to really worry about. She told me that I was going about treating it the right way, and rather than prescribe antibiotics at this point, just wait and try to let her fight it off on her own. So, for right now I'm keeping the temps and humidity up in all of my enclosures, and have hers in a seperate room. Thanks Cat for the advice.