FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Business Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fauna Mentor Program? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77400)

Lucille 03-26-2006 08:59 PM

Fauna Mentor Program?

What do y'all thinkof creating an unofficial network of those new to the reptile biz, and good honest business folk?

I've seen a couple of times where young people or just brand new business people start out and make unwise choices. End up on the BOI.

But while their integrity is either there or it isn't, lots of stuff like how to ship, when to refund (and when not to) and how to write a good advertisement are skills one learns with practice.

These guys may not know how to come on here and ask their questions, after all, some of us are verbal and some are not.

But if they had a reptile 'big brother' or 'big sister' just to give them a few pointers once in a while, someone they could go to with an occasional question, they might learn how to navigate this site better in order to be able to learn the many things here, and may become less shy about speaking up with a question on the forums rather than just guessing (and then guessing wrong).

What do y'all think?

Mike Greathouse 03-26-2006 10:27 PM

Great idea Lucille. Will you be my mentor?

The BoidSmith 03-26-2006 10:58 PM

Excellent idea Lucille! How would one go about it?

Regards

Lucille 03-27-2006 06:06 AM

Mike, lol, I see you as one of the most experienced and wisest here, YOU would (please?) be a mentor.

Dan, it was just an idea, I was looking to y'all for suggestions. I see you as a man of integrity and experience and I think you would make a great mentor as well.
What do y'all think of maybe starting a 'mentor available' thread and some of the good guys on the site volunteer? Perhaps allowing mentees to contact the mentors privately since they may be too shy to post that they want one?

Mentors would not have to be world class experts although we have some here. Just good honest folks who are willing to share a little of their experience.
I think that mentors are a good idea in almost any field, but here especially since there are so many factors, and rules, and so on that would be helpful to learn, and that could be gained by good advice from those who have 'been there'.

Art Klass 03-27-2006 07:26 AM

Lucille, I think that's a great idea. You can count me in. Hopefully I'll be able to help someone.

The BoidSmith 03-27-2006 08:25 AM

Another good idea Lucille! You can count me in.

Thanks! :)

Cat_72 03-27-2006 09:10 AM

Great idea, Lucille!

Jeremy Letkey 03-27-2006 10:03 AM

Lucille, I think that this is a good idea in principle. However, not many people even realize the potential that having a mentor creates. I certainly had someone who guided my path into reptiles. I can appreciate what a mentor has to offer.

If we as experienced keepers offer advice on the forums, is this not just another form of mentoring? I have on occasion gone off board as well. Contacting individuals who seemed like they could use a little more personal contact. If you manage to put something together, sign me up. I'll do what I can.

Lucille 03-27-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Letkey

If we as experienced keepers offer advice on the forums, is this not just another form of mentoring?

Jeremy

Of course you are right. The ideal is to answer questions on the board so that all may share and benefit by the answer.
The mentor program in my mind is for those who are very new. It would allow for them to be pointed toward the right forum to ask their questions. It would be a quiet place to tell someone no, don't ship that snake USPS and point him to the regulations, before he does it and asks questions afterward.
The forums are definitely the places to get information, but the mentor program is to welcome and introduce those just starting out so that they become comfortable here on Fauna. And I believe in my heart that if you reach out and give a little help, that will be returned a thousandfold as those you have helped find good information and get off to a good start.
The mentoring relationship might lead to lasting friendships but it is meant to be a brief way to help those who need a bit of confidence and to be shown around so they are comfortable here.

scalesnstuff 03-27-2006 11:08 AM

Good Idea

I never knew this side was on here until recently. I would love for someone to show me what I am potentially doing wrong and what I am doing right. Selling in my store is one thing but online there is all kinds of factors that I never realized. Sign me up!!!