FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Herp Talk (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=609)
-   -   tortious area/run questions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491877)

Mech 08-19-2014 08:41 PM

tortious area/run questions

Greetings all,
I keep a pair of 6-7 inch Sulcata's in an out side run with a large meshed fenced roof (1/2" chicken wire over a large metal fence section) to keep them safe.
They stay out side during the summer.
Lately I've been seeing blue belly lizards in there.
I think 2 have taken this as their new home.
The torts don't seem to mind and I actually like seeing the lizards.
Do you think this is ok?
It seems ok.
If it's ok I'm thinking of leaving well enough alone.
The lizards like to bask on the natural rock tort hides.
To be honest I've even thought on doing a mod on the run to make the little lizards more comfy.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
Andy

LauraB 08-19-2014 08:53 PM

Sounds like you have some nice little Western fence lizards ... I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to stick around. :)

rcarichter 08-21-2014 10:15 AM

I have an outdoor enclosure with my tortoises, horned lizards, and Peter's skink. There's a red heat light in one corner 24/7, and I often find wild toads in there at night, hunting under the heat lamp. The toads are large, and I've never quite figured out how they get in, or where they go in the morning. But I've never had any issues whatsoever. Just enjoy!

Noelle

Mech 08-21-2014 03:31 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.
I appreciate it.
Wow you toad roaming in.
How cool is THAT?
The oddest thing I had visit was a squirl.
I was hosing down their area and all the sudden this little fur ball was bouncing around like a pinball.
Took about 6 laps to find the small gap I accidentally left.
I am now more diligent about the top.
They are about 15 feet away from my creek so no telling what else might visit.
Planning on building a nicer enclosure so I can keep them safely out in the cold.
Thanks again.
Andy

j_dunlavy 08-21-2014 04:20 PM

I keep my tortoises in a large greenhouse.
one end has a shelter with ceramic heat lamps in it (red may attract unwanted attention).
I built ramps for them to get in and out when the weather is nice.
A couple of them have learned to go back inside on their own when it starts to cool off in the evening.

Tortoises are great

bigjej 08-21-2014 05:20 PM

I'd like to build an outdoor run for my RFT but not sure how or what to build. Any pointers or photos?

rcarichter 08-21-2014 06:07 PM

They can be pretty simple. You can use cinder blocks, stacked 2-3 high. Red-foots aren't big climbers or diggers. Add some hides, which can be just about anything that provides shelter from sun and rain. I use the top of a concrete bird bath as a water dish, big enough to soak in. You can add lots of plants, which will be promptly destroyed and/or eaten. Make a simple frame top with a square of wood or PVC and chicken wire, to keep predators out. You may not even need a top if your torts are fully grown, and your yard is protected from stray dogs. Smaller predators and cats aren't really going to bother an adult RFT.

Noelle

j_dunlavy 08-21-2014 06:17 PM

in my green house, I lined the cinder block foundation with this flexible plastic panel stuff I got at the hardware store.
I screwed it to the wood sill that the greenhouse is fastened to about every 6 inches. It extends several inches below the ground. I used screws that had this built in washer like ring around the head so they are very smooth.
I added this to prevent them from scratching their shells all up on the cinder block if they decide to dig into a corner or pace the foundation. That is the only downside to a cinder block run.

1995sportster883 09-11-2014 05:04 AM

I've got a 8x8x6ft outdoor enclosure I built for my Sulcatas and rhino iguana. They all live very happily together. Being I'm in Florida, there has also been an explosion of anoles in there in the past several months. I suppose they realize that its a safe place to hide from the hawks. The more the merrier, they all coexist in great health.

Adam