FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=263)
-   -   can you all help me with something??? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97148)

mrsjessica24 03-07-2007 12:04 PM

can you all help me with something???

ok, next year im planning to start an albino breeding project. I was wondering if any of you guys or gals could help me decide something. I want to have one albino and one het for albino. I would like to keep the albino for good, once i purchase it. Now, because an actual albino is more expensive i think i would like the albino to be the male, because the male is less likely to (god forbid) die. And i would like the female to be het albino, the female het would be less expensive to replace. My questions are, would it make any difference in the results which one is the albino?
Do any of you see anything wrong with my reasoning? When any of you breed albinos how do you decide? thanks in advance. p.s. reading over my thread i sound a bit like im thinking of my snakes as things that cost money, not animals, i assure you thats not the case. lol

paulh 03-07-2007 12:33 PM

Albino male x het albino female -->
1/2 albino
1/2 normal-looking, het albino

Het albino male x albino female -->
1/2 albino
1/2 normal-looking, het albino

The expected results are the same. They are not affected by which sex is the albino.

If I was doing this project, I would choose an albino male, too. That may or may not be possible from an availability or cost standpoint. But if all those factors were equal, that's the way I would go. Good luck.

mrsjessica24 03-07-2007 12:47 PM

so are male albinos more expensive than female albinos???

droogievesch 03-07-2007 02:42 PM

Another good thing about having a male albino is one male can breed with many het females...but one albino female can only be bred once.

And typically males are cheaper no matter what (as long as sex isn't temp determined)

mrsjessica24 03-07-2007 03:29 PM

Thats very interesting, i did not know that you can breed an albino female only one time, can you tell me why that is??? Also "temp determened" is not a term i"ve yet heard, could you explain that to me also?? thank you very much!!!, i think i've made my decision.

droogievesch 03-07-2007 04:02 PM

A female can only get pregnant once per season, while a male can father many clutches.

Temp determined sex can be found in some reptiles where different temperatures will give different sexes (alligators for example). Boas are live bearers so the incubation temperature does not effect sex.

Laura Fopiano 03-07-2007 04:24 PM

Jessica, if you plan on breeding, than your female should be older than the male. Males can breed at a younger age. Hope this helps.

Donel 03-07-2007 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jessica,
I have a nice 05 Male albino produced by Jeff Ronne(who's one of the best in the business)He is around 36" long(slow grown to keep him smaller as smaller males seem to be better breeders)He probably could have bred this season,but will definately be ready this coming fall.He's got a great disposition(very very tame)and has never refused a meal.Am wanting $1100 for him.
Thanks

Donel 03-07-2007 05:05 PM

Also forgot to mention,I just had a litter of pastel 100% het albino's born last Sunday.They will be ready to go after 5-6 feedings.I will have females available,priced at around $400 each.
Thanks

hhmoore 03-07-2007 05:50 PM

Donel, this is a discussion forum, not the classifieds section. Offering animals for sale does not belong here...place an ad, or (if trying to offer to a specific person) send an email or PM.