FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ball Pythons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   New member (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90532)

Newbpfanatic 11-13-2006 06:22 PM

Hi everyone, I've posted these questions and comments in another forum and just thought it best to double up and compare notes and information.

First I will admit, I have not been much for on-line forums of any types. The reason I signed up here and elsewhere is that I want to learn more about Ball Pythons in general. I have one girl that is about three years old according to the previous owner that works at the local PetCo. He informed me that the best place to learn about snakes was on-line and told me about Kingsnake.com along with a few other sites. My only herp conversations have been limited to picking up some fish food and tank supplies from PetCo.

After being out for almost a decade, I was amazed to see how far the herp world as come! I never thought I would see snakes being sold for $10,000. All I knew was pet store snakes that sold for $30-$125 around locally back in those days. I would love to buy a Spider or maybe an Albino BP, I've fallen in love with about ten other color morphs in the past couple weeks. Another snake I would love to own and most definitely will, is an Albino Boa. I currently have a two bedroom townhouse and God willing can convert one room into a reptile room.

Most of the feedback I have gotten has been from breeders or future breeders of Ball Pythons. I'd like to also hear from the keepers or owners of these amazing snakes. I don't think I'm ready for breeding nor have I given it any thought to be honest. I simply would like to start with some pets and increase my collection as I go along. I'm still kind of worried about buying anything on-line, especially something live. Is this a safe way to buy and receive snakes? Is this common and what guarantee is given? So far, the consensus on other forums has been yes and it really comes down to who you buy from...is this the general feeling?

Excuse my ignorance, but I noticed prices vary quite a bit on-line for the same snakes. Is there a reason for this? Do these prices include shipping and handling? Are these prices set in stone? I have yet to inquire with any seller and do not want to offend anyone as the new guy. So far, the answers I have received as been that prices vary due to quality and individual sellers.

Are males cheaper than females or females cheaper than males? As I wrote above, for now I have no intention of breeding snakes and just want some nice display-pet snakes. I have made a list of the Ball Pythons I would like to see in my collection some day and was wondering what would be the average price tag on these?

Spider
Piebald
Bumble Bee
Albino
Super Pastel
Clown
Caramel Albino
Albino Boa

I was told prices decrease each year as more and more of a specific morph is produced. Is there such a thing as a better time in the year to shop around? How much do prices drop on average each year and does it reach a bottom price at some point or after x amount of years? I've been getting mixed messages informing me of various prices. From advertised prices and variations to under the table prices and variations for the same snakes. I guess it comes down to who you know? Is this common practice with reptiles on-line and are there risks involved? I would love to hear from keepers who have been where I am at on this subject, rather than breeders with snakes to sell.

I would like to buy a Spider or Albino in the next few weeks, would I be better off waiting till next year? If all we're talking about is a $25 reduction in price on a $1000 or $1500 snake, it's not worth the wait in my case.

Sorry for all the questions and I hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible and shop around for the best quality as well as best price.

Thanks for your help.
Dan

Schlyne 11-13-2006 06:58 PM

Like buying any product, you need to find a reputable seller.

The different morph prices per morph are graded by the quality of the snake. For example, a really nice crisp bright high quality pastel will be higher priced than one which is really browned out.

Most of the prices set on the morphs do not include shipping and handling. Guarentee's depend on the seller.

Males are typically cheaper than females.

You're going to want to research the morphs you want to buy to make sure you know the genetics if you're interesting in breeding the morphs.

hhmoore 11-13-2006 09:34 PM

Pricing - depends on what you buy, who you buy from, and, to a lesser degree, when. Depending on the morph, males might be cheaper, females might be cheaper, or they might be the same. For pastels, mojaves, and other morphs that have a "super" form, females are more expensive because you can't make the supers without them. With spiders, on the other hand, the males are more expensive because a single male will breed with multiple females...producing spiders with each clutch (and their is no super form that makes it more desirable to breed spider x spider.
The amount of "give" on a price is dependent on the person selling the snake. If somebody prices their snakes high, they have more "wiggle room" and may accept lower offers; whereas the guy selling his for the lowest prices probably won't want to hear it (I'm like that, lol).

As for the price drop - that depends on what type of morph you are looking at. Because of the ease of reproduction, pastels, spiders, mojaves, etc drop significantly each year as more and more become available. Recessive trait morphs, like albinos, typically have more stable pricing. Your best bet for getting a good price is in the fall - mid spring to mid summer is when most of the babies hatch, and prices are high. With the approach of winter, people want to get rid of the last of the babies so they can concentrate their efforts on breeding season again...besides, who wants to feed babies all winter if they don't have to (not to mention anybody that was going to pay the price probably already did...shopping late in the season decreases the selection a bit, but the price drop is usually worth it, lol)
I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but I hope that helps at least a little

LadyOhh 11-14-2006 02:36 AM

They both have said most of everything I was going to say.. Darn! ;)