FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   genetics? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54887)

Bringerofdoom 10-30-2004 06:54 AM

genetics?

ok i i have a patternless leo thats 66% het for albino female(according to k&n) im wondering what would be better to mate it with. a albino, patternless albino, hypo or other morphs?? im just trying to think of what would make the best young. some of you seem to have the morph breeding down, so i would figure you all can advise on the best mate. thanks in advance

Tribal Gecko 10-30-2004 07:38 AM

Not sure if I read that right...it's early and I just got home from work...but, depending on what albino morph it is (rainwater?), I would prolly try and go with the same morph of albino. That way if it does have the patternless gene you might get a patternless albino. If it does'nt, then you will atleast get some hets out of the breeding to try again the following year. That would be my choice anyway. A patternless albino would work nice as well if you are able to get one.

Bringerofdoom 10-30-2004 08:28 AM

its a tremper albino het.

i thought you would say patternless albino, well i got a patternless albino male but im having serious problem with it right now and it may not make it till i get the money to take it to the vet. more than likely it probably will not live even after a vet visit. he's been sick and in quarantine scince i got him from a reptile show. i thought he would be able to produce patternless albinos if i crossed them (before i realized he was ill, i at first thought it was slightly mal nourished). i still smack myself for not seeing anything wrong with a adult patternless albino leo for $60.

needless to say that whole project is scrapped. thats why i was trying to figure out what else can she be mated with. would hyglows and similar albino morphs be worth mating with it?

Tribal Gecko 10-30-2004 03:39 PM

Well, I'm not sure if anybody has actually crossed a hybino / hyglow / sunglow with a patternless. The hyglow is just a selectivly bred tang albino, so crossing that would still just end you up with a paternless albino, i'm not sure how the tang would go over... if at all. One of the other breeders could probably answer that better than I. And I don't really see any reason to pay the 1000+ $ on a hyglow or sunglow. You could probably pick up a nice hybino for a few hundred...but personally I would pick up a nice 20$ tremper and go with that het of yours. Save a few hundred.

But something like the hybino's are obviously a great investment in the long run. Those are just my opinions though. Keep in mind that's not a guaranteed het...so you dont want to spend all that money on a hybino, just for that project. For the price of a hybino you could pick up several trempers and Paternless' actually to start that project. If the 66% het works out to infact be a het, that will give you a jump start, if not, you still have a nice group to start the project with. Kinda hit and miss really. You could get some gauranteed paternless / tremper hets from quite a few various breeders, and they my work out excellent as well. Get a guaranteed male, and a couple more females.

Just idea's anyway, it's your project after all :P

Golden Gate Geckos 10-30-2004 06:51 PM

hmmm...

I'd either go with a Tremper albino, or a Tremper albino het for patternless.

Gregg M 10-30-2004 07:19 PM

Not to go off topic but, why keep an animal that you can not afford to care for if a problem comes up right away???? When it comes to reptiles, the cost to keep them goes way over the price of the animal itself...... This is something not alot of people consider when buying a "cheap" pet....... When someone buys a reptile they should be prepared to spend alot of money on its upkeep...... You should do your reptiles a favor and sell them to someone that can afford them..... And forget about looking into getting another one that will not get immediate care if needed.... And if you do not have the money for a vet visit, how the hell can you possibly have enough money to buy a hyglow or hybino???? Get your priorities straight.....

I guess your name fits you well when it comes to your reptile captives.....

Golden Gate Geckos 10-30-2004 08:43 PM

well...

Quote:

i got a patternless albino male but im having serious problem with it right now and it may not make it till i get the money to take it to the vet. more than likely it probably will not live even after a vet visit. he's been sick and in quarantine scince i got him from a reptile show. i thought he would be able to produce patternless albinos if i crossed them (before i realized he was ill, i at first thought it was slightly mal nourished).
Gregg, you are absolutely right! Apparently I did not read the thread as thoroughy as I should have...

Bringerofdoom 10-30-2004 09:17 PM

Gregg M, not to be rude, but you do not know my current situation or the patternless albinos situation. i normally do have the money on hand and do take my reptiles to vets, but im moving at the end of november and money is really tight right now. i have been trying to get this house for 4 months now and its going to take about all i got to get it and to move in and do some minor fixes.

also

the patternless albino was sold to me sick from the start from a reptile show where i had previously aquired a WC iggy that was full of pinworms (didnt complain about that figured my fault for getting a WC iggy). i figured for some reason this would be different it was $60 so i thought it was worth a shot, it wasnt even labled as a patternless it was right next to other regular albino's that appeared to have been clutchmates. (traded a yellow nigerean uro female and $20 for it). got it home turned out the guy lied about the wieght and everything else. the albino was 8 inches and only 31 grams not the 54 he had told me it was (figured neglect, this guy deals in over 40+ species of reptiles just at this 7 hour one day show).

i got its weight upto 43 grams, i was weighing it weekly to monitor its weight. the week prior the the last he was being bity and snappy so i skipped him that week. i observered him about a week later looking real thin again. this time i forced him into a weigh cup and weighed him to find out he now 30 grams. this has only happened this week, it isnt that im trying not to take it in. im shure some other people struggle for money too at the end of each month like it is.

the patternless albino is showing several signs of crypto, yea i know i am not a vet and therefore cant fully make that assumption.

i have been trying to get about $100 extra to take it to the vet, im shure by next week i would easily have it. im just not shure if it can live that long. this one doesnt bill and wants cash upfront if he runs over, you dont get your animal till he gets paid.

i normally stand for the upmost care of reptiles, im even mad at myself that i cant afford to take it to the vet at this moment. i dont even like commenting about it right now cause its a sore subject. do you honestly think i like watching a animal die right before my eyes? especially when it was vital part to my patternless breeding project?

i would also like to note the whole purpose of this thread was to find out what could i mate it with IF the male does not make it.

trust me everyone i intend on bringing it to the vet, that way next months show i can come in there and show him proof he ripped me.

and if anyone reading this knows about crypto please get ahold of me via pm or something. or anyone willing to try to help me keep it alive till then please om me.

Xelda 10-31-2004 04:50 AM

Are you sure it's a Tremper PA? Methinks it's more likely to be a Rainwater PA, in which case you wouldn't want to breed your possible Tremper het. I think you should try crossing your patternless with a tang carrottail to try to improve the coloration. It would be an awesome project.

I would like to know more details about the gecko before pointing to crypto, especially since he did get better for awhile, right? Usually with crypto, once the animal starts to decline, it's just downhill the rest of the way. If it's another parasitic infestation, you should be able to cure it easily, but he's not going to get better without treatment. Is he still eating? Does he regurgitate his meals? How are his stools looking?

By the way, $100 sounds like a lot if you just want to bring the animal in and get his feces checked. You should be able to get that done for less than $50.

Bringerofdoom 10-31-2004 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Xelda
Are you sure it's a Tremper PA? Methinks it's more likely to be a Rainwater PA, in which case you wouldn't want to breed your possible Tremper het. I think you should try crossing your patternless with a tang carrottail to try to improve the coloration. It would be an awesome project.

I would like to know more details about the gecko before pointing to crypto, especially since he did get better for awhile, right? Usually with crypto, once the animal starts to decline, it's just downhill the rest of the way. If it's another parasitic infestation, you should be able to cure it easily, but he's not going to get better without treatment. Is he still eating? Does he regurgitate his meals? How are his stools looking?

By the way, $100 sounds like a lot if you just want to bring the animal in and get his feces checked. You should be able to get that done for less than $50.

i have not had him that long its been a little over a month i got him up a little over 10 grams feeding it waxworms (he ate about 4 crickets only scince i had him and refused anything else besides waxies) even then he was only eating 2-3 a day he wont even eat the waxworms now.

now he is just going downhill fast he hasnt ate anything for a week that i know of, he dont like me trying to force feed him either he will snap at me. he does not seem like himself at all. he's got a huge blue spot on its somache about as big if not bigger than my thumbnail.

the reason i said $100 the way my herp vet works is $35 for the visit and $35 for the fecal i allow $30 extra to cover basic meds. he wont do a fecal if he hasnt met the reptile in person, which this one he hasnt. if he would have seen it before, i can bring in fecals and just pay for the fecal then.

here is the picture in question