FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Amphibian Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=607)
-   -   eastern spadefoot toad tank mates (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738501)

junglebird 09-29-2020 02:16 PM

eastern spadefoot toad tank mates

does anyone know any animals that can live with a eastern spadefoot toad in a paludarium

Herpin Man 09-29-2020 03:11 PM

Possibly other native toads, depending on size of toads, and size of enclosure. But, spadefoot toads prefer relatively dry environments, and paludariums, by definition, are wet environments.
My advice is that you think this through very carefully.

junglebird 09-29-2020 04:57 PM

thank you for the info although I am pretty sure because these guys are from the south like Florida and Tennessee where it is a lot more moist so I was thinking either a slimy salamander or a southern toad but I have heard some bad things about them and cant find a lot of information on the web.

thank you again

junglebird 09-29-2020 05:11 PM

although most spadefoots do live in drier habitats

E.Shell 09-29-2020 09:33 PM

We have Eastern Spadefoot Toads here in central Maryland and the soil is generally sandy where I am. They are commonly encountered in wooded areas in damp, loose soil, but not wet. The only time I have seen them near low/wet areas or open water is spring breeding season when the temporary puddles in the low spots fill up with them.

The American Toad is also found in good numbers here, but I have never seen any near any Spadefoots. American Toads seem to prefer drier habitats to hunt and like to retreat into a relatively moist hide during the day. We usually have them under our splashblocks during the day and out hunting the drive, walks and grassy areas at night. They learn to patrol areas under the security lights to catch night-flying insects drawn to the light.

Summertime humidity here is above 75%, usually well above, and average temps run 75oF at night to 85-90 during the day.

Generally speaking, multi-species enclosures are not a good idea. Most often at least one of the animals is facing a compromised environment and/or will be stressed by the other animal. Captivity in and of itself can be very stressful and the additional stress of a threatening or competing animal can be the difference betweens success and failure. Setting up an enclosure that is closely tailored to one species' specific needs is usually considered the best approach. As said above, this should be carefully considered.

FWIW, I believe an American Toad will be a better specimen than a Spadefoot Toad. The American Toad will also be mainly nocturnal, but is significantly more active and personable, The ones I've had will gradually shift their hours over to be out late into morning and come out in early evening when they know the food is coming. Mine quickly learned to take food from tweezers and were never shy about eating a squirming bug or worm dropped in front of them. The Spadefoots I've kept have been total hiders, only coming out after dark to eat feeders left in the tank. I cannot recall ever actually seeing a Spadefoot eat, but the food disappears and they grow...

The best suggestion I could offer for a cohabitation would be a smaller diurnal lizard like an Eastern Fence Lizard, that is large enough not to be eaten and small enough not to be a threat. They would occupy different areas (terrestrial digger vs mainly arboreal climber) and use opposite time slots and possibly not interfere with each other.

junglebird 09-30-2020 12:38 AM

Thanks for letting me know