FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ball Pythons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Sexing a BP (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74756)

Skunky 01-16-2006 07:05 PM

Sexing a BP

So I know you usually sex BPs by probing and popping (done by experience handlers). The other day I caught a thread on sexing BPs by looking at their tails (albeit a not-so-accurate measure). One sex has shorter stubbier tails whereas the other tends to have a longer, narrower tail. Do you know anything about this and how reliable this method is? Would age play a role in the accuracy of this method?

shrap 01-16-2006 07:13 PM

While it can be done with some success, it really is not realiable enough to depend on. At any age.

Metalmaster136 01-16-2006 07:13 PM

From what i've heard, you can't judge the snakes gender from those things. Becuase it varys and there still is a chance you could be completely wrong.

evansnakes 01-16-2006 10:13 PM

Skunky, you are starting a ton of threads on this forum that have been covered many many times over. You should really go look up info you are seeking instead of filling the whole forum with new threads you are initiating.

Skunky 01-16-2006 11:05 PM

Terribly sorry to be such a burden of your time Evan. If you're not interested in my posts, dont read them in future, it's simple.

The whole point of these fora is to find out more about your animals by interacting with other folks who are experienced. I am not, I am trying though...and as much as my posts may bother you, I really dont mind, cause they really are indispensible to backing up the research I'm doing on the side.

But I concede, you're right, I'm sure what I'm asking has been said several times before. But guess what, in the next few months undoubtedly they will be asked several times more in the future. Why, cause not everyone has the resources to sit behind a computer or hours on end sifting through 300-odd posts for what I need.

amayon 01-16-2006 11:07 PM

skunky its called the search function. you dont have to "sift" for anythign

Skunky 01-16-2006 11:32 PM

The search function does help in some cases, but it's also pretty promiscuous..get a lot of hits, a lot of which arent what you're looking for

WebSlave 01-16-2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evansnakes
Skunky, you are starting a ton of threads on this forum that have been covered many many times over. You should really go look up info you are seeking instead of filling the whole forum with new threads you are initiating.

Well quite honestly, I am thrilled that someone is taking an interest in this particular forum and making a real effort at getting lively discussions started. So if it is all the same to you Evan, please don't try to squelch this type of activity unless you are willing to pick up the baton and take a leading role in promoting that same sort of activity here. Your comment is directly contrary to what I would prefer to have happen in ALL of the discussion forums on this site. I WANT someone to start taking the lead in the discussion forums to promote DISCUSSIONS. From what I can see, Skunky is doing exactly that and if he keeps it up, I may just make him an offer to be the official forum sponsor here. It appears the current one has abandoned his post and no one else has offered to step in.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.

darkbloodwyvern 01-17-2006 12:02 AM

hmm, i guess there' s only so many questions that can be asked, so we'll always be repeating some... good luck with sexing the snakes if you don't know already. i just take them to the local pet store, they are very good at probing/and giving helpful answers!

shrap 01-17-2006 12:19 AM

Personally a pet store is one of the last places I would go to have a snake sexed. Go see your vet and they will teach you. Attend a local herp society meeting. You can always find experienced keepers there willing to share some knowledge. Even a herp show will often have a few good folks willing to help you out.