FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Welcome Room & New Member Intros (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=796)
-   -   New member (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679641)

DystopianDeer 01-09-2019 09:00 PM

Hey there. New person here. I'm not particularly good at talking about myself. In a few months I plan to get my first reptile. A crested gecko. My mom is mostly terrified of reptiles (snakes especially) so I was never able to have one of any kind as a kid. Currently I have 2 cats, 3 rabbits that I'm working towards breeding, a horse, a bluegill and a burrowing crawfish.

bcr229 01-09-2019 09:09 PM

:welcome:

E.Shell 01-09-2019 09:53 PM

Welcome Kristy! I have people around Montgomery. Great spot. Used to spend a lot of time at my uncles farm off Old Selma Road as a kid. He had the furniture factory in town. Lived in Letohatchie in my teens.

DystopianDeer 01-09-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.Shell (Post 2120493)
Welcome Kristy! I have people around Montgomery. Great spot. Used to spend a lot of time at my uncles farm off Old Selma Road as a kid. He had the furniture factory in town. Lived in Letohatchie in my teens.

It is. I'm close enough to Old Selma Road that I spent most of my childhood on Catoma and Pentlala creek. In fact, I saw my first Black Racer under the bridge just down from where Well Road meets OSR.

E.Shell 01-09-2019 11:11 PM

Ha, that's right there...wonder if you're in the genealogy book...LOL.

Uncle George had a big farm with a nice 2-3 acre pond on the back edge of it, and a pecan grove. Sub-divided and sold off a lot of it before he passed. As I recall, he was just off the north side, not far from Pentlala Creek. Seems like there was a creek just past the farm. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find it on the map. but much has changed. Red brick house, 100 yards off the road.

I'll ask Mom about the address tomorrow.

DystopianDeer 01-09-2019 11:24 PM

You never know. I think I know the house you're talking about, but there's still a bunch of red brick houses through there. I take trips through there every summer on my way to the Holy Grounds Battlefield Park and to get to some of my favorite fishing spots.

E.Shell 01-10-2019 11:02 PM

Hey Kristy, I found the exact location.

Not sure if you understand the private messaging system, but I left two messages with info for you.

Socratic Monologue 01-10-2019 11:49 PM

Welcome, Kristy!

What breed of rabbits do you work with? I breed Standard Rex (castors and black otters), used to breed New Zealand, and had Red Satins when I was younger.

DystopianDeer 01-11-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue (Post 2120638)
Welcome, Kristy!

What breed of rabbits do you work with? I breed Standard Rex (castors and black otters), used to breed New Zealand, and had Red Satins when I was younger.

Right now I just have meat mutts, but eventually I want to breed Silver Foxes. I'm fairly new to the breeding side of things. I've had them for a year and still haven't gotten a litter. One doe runs from my buck and doesn't let him catch her and the other tucks her tail.

Socratic Monologue 01-11-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DystopianDeer (Post 2120671)
Right now I just have meat mutts, but eventually I want to breed Silver Foxes. I'm fairly new to the breeding side of things. I've had them for a year and still haven't gotten a litter. One doe runs from my buck and doesn't let him catch her and the other tucks her tail.

Yeah, my Rexes do that too, though my New Zealands didn't have any problems breeding. My solution (that has been working for a couple years now) is to run the male and female together all the time in a double sized cage with a nest box always in it. It took a couple months for the first litter, but now they kindle regularly (about 3 litters a year from each pair, always in the spring and summer). I've not had any aggression issues, though I do give the doe some time off if she seems to be having trouble keeping weight on during the breeding season.