FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   new tokays (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81849)

tcr03 06-12-2006 12:34 AM

new tokays

ok, i went to the reptile show today and picked up a male w.c. tokay and a famle c.b. i got them both from different breeders. the wc was 8 bux and looks thin. the cb one was 45. and the only female at the show. she looks beautiful. very healthy and fiesty. im going to quarentine them both for 3-4 months. my main consern is if the wc one has any worms, or parasites(which im sure it does). what can i do to get rid of them. and after the quarentine period am i going to be able to put them in the same cage and not worry about the wc one giving the cb one any parasites.

Milwaukee Reptiles 06-12-2006 12:43 AM

Anything WC should (at a minimum) have a full fecal done, and a vet check may not be the worst idea either. You don't want to risk missing something that the WC has built up some immunity to that could kill the other one.

tcr03 06-12-2006 12:58 AM

is it pretty pricy to have that done. i dont mind, im just curious. also, will they be able to treat anything the wc one has.

Milwaukee Reptiles 06-12-2006 03:14 AM

a fecal will usually run between $10-20 depending on the vet, (plus any meds if they find anything), and a checkup will cost you $30-50 (again, depending on the vet). The checkup may or may not be required (my vet will let me do a fecal without it, but I had to call a few before I found one that would).
These costs have to be considered when buying WC, because the last thing you want is the $8 gecko bringing in something that can kill off your entire collection. My guess is, being WC and thin, it likely has something that needs to be fixed before you even consider putting them near each other or using the same tools, bowls, etc for each.

Road Warrior 06-12-2006 08:07 AM

Ya, have the fecal done, specially since you invested in a CB female. Most WC will be loaded with parasites. They are very hardy geckos. Chances are he is thin due to high stress factors, being caught, shipped and kept in large quanities in cramped conditions. Give him lots of hiding areas, peace and quite. Is he eating?

tcr03 06-12-2006 10:28 AM

i saw him eat a crix, but thats about it. neither one was interested in food when i got them home. ill give them a day or two to settle in before really worrieing about it.

cliff_f 06-12-2006 10:28 PM

I would keep them seperate for awhile and make sure the wc one is gaining weight to they can be kind of a pain sometimes. I have bought 5 wc one and only had one die on me the other 4 i have had for almost 2 years now.