FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bite Club
Thread: Bite Club
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 05:55 PM   #17
Seamus Haley
I was loitering at Ken Foose's shop a couple Thanksgivings ago... he handed me a set of keys and let me prod things if I wanted to.

I don't know how many people have been to his shop, but to the right when you enter is a double row of tanks, with the upper row set back away from the lower ones. The upper row usually contains smaller lizards, lotta geckos generally.

The center of the store has a few mammal cages, then some shelves with product on them, then more reptile enclosures...

I'm only five seven, so I had to use the foot stool to get into the upper row of cages easily and immediately behind me were these big four by four heavy glass mammal enclosures full of rabbits. I was checking out a few of the terrestrial geckos that he had and opened the door to the enclosure holding neonate pictus geckos. One of them darted out from under a hide and latched onto my fingertip as I was reaching in, gave a shake like a terrier trying to kill a rat and then darted back under the half log. This was an animal that was all of maybe an inch and a quarter from snout to vent and noted for their easy going temperments, trying to murder me for invading it's space.

I laughed so hard that I fell off the stool backwards and hit my funnybone on the corner of the rabbit cage, so I guess the gecko was pretty successful.

Sugar gliders hurt though... They've got pretty nasty chompers for something that's supposed to eat insects and tree sap, I don't envy you there...

Anyone else get the reaction where anything that doesn't bite you has to deficate on you instead? Out of the two, which would you rather have happen? Personally I'd rather bleed a little than spend the rest of the day smelling of digested rat.