FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What method do you use to ship?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #59
dzoo
I receive reptiles on a regular basis via FedEx, the boxes have a big picture of a snake on the side and the name of the shipper ***Reptiles and it is being shipped to a pet store - so I don't think there is much doubt what is in the box! The driver asked once if it was snakes (maybe setting me up???) and I said it was insects and left it at that.

Fedex and Airborne have never let me down- when I am expecting a shipment I have to get to the shop extra early to be sure I don't miss them! USPS has never failed me either but of course it is wise to pack the animals as if they will be in the box several days in case something does delay them. UPS on the other hand totally sucks, the drivers don't knock, just leave a slip "sorry we missed you" , they drop the boxes right in front of you, put the box on my counter upside down clearly marked "This way up" - etc., etc.

The ban on the shipping of live reptiles has to be based on someones fear or misunderstanding of reptiles, the way the animals are packaged and shipped is no different than the other packages they handle. I can understand that they do not want to guarantee live arrival, I think that is asking too much, kind of like shipping a delicate crystal vase and expecting it to arrive undamaged- if you pack it right it will be o.k. .

The USPS allows the shipping of live poultry - you can ship anything from a day old chick up to a full grown live turkey overnight or second day mail - so why would they care about snakes sealed inside a box? Here is some info. from a company that makes the boxes to mail poultry:
http://www.hm-e.net/po.htm

FedEx has no problem shipping live fish, it's the number 2 item they ship from Arkansas :
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/srac/baitfish.htm
I'll bet a box of leaking fish could cause a lot more damage en route than a box of reptiles.

I think all shippers take crickets which probably get loose all the time in transit - so why the fuss about reptiles?

Dave Cheris