FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Help identifying this Rosy Boa locality.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
jdustin
I totally agree with Rockratt. Unless you know the animal's history it's just a cool rosy boa, but in my opinion, even a non-locality rosy is cooler than any snake of any other species.
But one thing's for sure, your snake is like the perfect example of an integrade boa. They can look like that across that whole area where the deserts and coastals naturally mix. Something about the way the jagged striped coastals mix with the straight stripe deserts creates that almost pin striping down the middle of the grey stripes... if that makes sense. I hear this called intermediary striping or secondary striping.

Localityrosys has the best rosy info around. You will probably also enjoy the locality rosy boa image project. It that has over 700 great pictures of just about every locality known to man, and is completely provided by various rosy boa enthusiasts. I manage the project, and it can be found at, http://borderboas.com/
-Josh - Rosybozo

You can see the secondary striping pretty well on that last image of your snake... and on this one from Yucca Valley: