FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Oh Damn!
Thread: Oh Damn!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
LauraB
I can definitely sympathize .. when I lived in Wlimington, OH we had a bit of a skunk problem for a while. Every night during summer for the couple years I was there, you could actually smell the skunks from around 10PM till 1 or 2 AM, which totally dispelled what I had thought; that you only smelled the musk when they sprayed or when they were killed.

I never did know where they "lived" during the daytime. I was in a regular house in a regular very small neigborhood in a rural community. It was like the blasted skunks were everywhere, even though I never ever saw a live one.

Even though my backyard was fenced and my patio completely screen-enclosed and covered, my Husky Chynna was sprayed 3 times in 2 summers when I was at work ... one July I had to cancel my kid's Saturday afternoon birthday party due to a smelly "mishap" the evening before it was scheduled! (All skunks were dispatched by Chynna; their carcasses left on my patio for me to deal with).

Tomato juice didn't really work well with a Husky, maybe due to her thick fur. My vet told me to mix hydrogen peroxide, regular dishwashing detergent (I used "Dawn") and baking soda. It worked pretty well ... even though the smell lingered.

Since moving to ATL and even though I am in a heavily wooded natural hood, I've never seen nor smelled one. I guess they don't live here