FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New JCP
Thread: New JCP
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Dansolt929
To be honest, I got a baby albino burm, and 2 female normal bp's and here's the deal...

When I got my first bp, @ about 20", I fed her in a grey 20qt tub on fuzzy mice. Did this every 7 days for a month, she ate every time. So after this, mostly because of laziness on my part, I've just been feeding her in her cage.
Here's what I do:
1. Open the cage up around 8 (lights out/heat pads on at 8:30)
2. Get her out, hold her for a few minutes (So she knows I always pick her up before a meal, and that food NEVER precedes my hand.)
3. Put her back in on one end of the cage
4. Drop large mouse in the other end.

NEVER has she struck at me, ever....plain and simple, since the day I got her.

Older bp female, got her 2nd, @ about 36-40". Followed same feeding schedule (same mice too, she was abused before me, on a 6 month fast, needed to wean her back) And just as before after a month I started feeding her in her cage (huge cage, makes for fun hunts xD and now feeding on med rats) and again....she has NEVER struck at me.

My albino burm male is on his last feeding in the tub, but he has already bit me and my girlfriend once each, which the other snakes didn't do. But that was in the first week and for the last week or so I have been handling him daily, and no hissing or biting.

IMO it's all in the relationship between keeper(not owner!) and pet. The golden rule applies to pets as well!