FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - "How To Do It Legal ?????"
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #20
JJFOUTZ
Fed-Ex approval process

This is all the info that I can give you and remember about the process of getting FedEx approved to ship live non-venomous snakes.
Each Package that you plan on using to ship through them is supposed to be tested individually for approval before you use them to ship. That is not really a big deal considering they pay for the shipping of the test packages to them (ship 2 day). I sent my test package to them inside another box so that it didn’t get damaged on the way to them. I taped the application to the top of the test box and wrote, “test package enclosed” on the exterior box.

1) Call FedEx and set up an express acct. They will want a credit card # that they can charge your shipments to. There is no initial charge to set up the acct or anything like that. I was told they will pick up same day for express shipments. They will pick up express shipments at your house for a $4.00 fee and you will get a 10% discount if you use FedEx.com for shipping.

2) You will have to wait 24 hours before calling to talk to a customer service person to get things started so that they get you into the system. When you call to talk to a customer service rep, Tell them that you want to obtain a waiver to ship live non-venomous snakes and that you need to have your local acct rep call you to start this process. Tell the customer service person to put the name James Brown (FedEx legal) on the request with his phone # (901)434-8494 before they forward it to your local acct rep so if there are any questions or attitude they can call James Brown to confirm that the waiver is attainable.

3) It will probably take a day or so for your local acct rep to call you back, you may get a call from the live animal desk instead of the acct rep and they may give you the local acct rep’s phone #. The guy that called me was the local sales manager for this area. Your local acct rep needs to call James Brown - phone # (901)434-8494 to get the instructions on the process to obtain the waiver for you. After the local acct rep receives the instructions, you will need to send a test package to the test dept.

4) The test package should have a foam or insulation liner on all sides for stability and insulating purposes. I think they are specifically looking for that. The test dept address and info is:

FedEx Express Packaging Design & Development
2828 Business Park Drive
Building H Suite 500
Memphis, TN 38118
(800) 633-7019

The package should be sent 2 day and charged to the FedEx Express Packaging Design & Development acct. I got the # at Fed-Ex when I shipped the package.

5) You will receive the evaluation paper work back from the test dept within A week. After you receive the evaluation papers, you need to send or fax the paper work to your local acct rep. After the acct rep has the approved paper work he should fax them to James Brown and James should send the Waiver to your acct rep for you to sign and send back to the acct rep.

6) The acct rep should sign the waiver on behalf of FedEx and send copies to:

Legal Department
Attn: James S. Brown
3620 Hacks Cross Road
Building B, 3rd floor.
Memphis, TN 38125

Copy to you for your records

Copy for your local acct rep for your files there

Send copies of the signed waiver and the Package approval papers to:

FedEx Animal control desk
O’Hare International Airport
Building 612
Chicago, IL 60666-0004

I had made 4 copies of the waiver before I signed it and 4 copies of the package approval papers, I signed all 4 copies of the waiver and attached the a copy of the package approval papers to each for my acct rep to sign all 4 waivers and everyone would get an original copy with the package approval including me. That way nobody could say they didn’t get the appropriate paper work. I figured it would be better to send too much than have a problem later down the road.

7) I had sent the papers to my acct rep with a letter thanking him for his time and effort in making this waiver possible for me and I told him in the letter that when I receive my copy of the signed paperwork, I would assume that everyone would receive the copies within a few days and that I would be officially approved for shipping through FedEx unless I was told otherwise.

That is basically the entire process as I can remember it.

You need to have your Local sales or acct. rep call James Brown. James will tell him the appropriate steps that need to be taken to make this happen for you. Do not let him tell you they do not ship reptiles and blow you off. Hound him till he calls James Brown.

Jeff Foutz