FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Pennsylvania state law issues
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #36
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena wise View Post
Pennsylvania doest even enforce the laws that they have on the books now, and does not have enough knowledgeable staff to do so, so even if this bill passes I am not sure anything will come of it as far as enforcement goes for some time. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

I don't personally care what animals or reptiles people own, and think that everyone should have a fair and equal right to keep and possess (RESPONSIBLY) any species of their choosing as long as it is done in accordance with the law (not illegally obtained, endangered and such). Pa has been a very easy state to obtain and keep just about anything, and I think they would have more pressing issues at hand with all of the venomous reptiles in possession and collections in the state, if they press issues to hard on the keeping of other reptile species.

I mean, in all honesty, and not picking on any one group, but have you ever been to the hamburg reptile show. I have seen large animals cramped in small containers, animals displayed in cracked or shattered aquariums, venomous species displayed in deli cups on tables that are easily accessible to small children, animals that clearly look unhealthy, animals of all kinds being sold to kids that clearly appear to under 18. I am sure that other shows are the same, but talk about RESPONSIBILTY, I am sure I am gonna take a nice hard hit on this one, but clearly I think the reptile community needs to take a look at some of the persona it gives off, and realize that it is some of our own actions that bring these bills to surface.

Pa does enforce laws when called. And they are patrolling shows more than ever.

Why pick on venomous? No claims in PA in many many years mainly because the owners are either VERY lucky or they just might have enough common sense to being doing something right.

Hamburg, personally I don't think there should be anyone under 18 there period. I know there are plenty of great teenagers out there but I have to set a number somewhere. The place is packed tight enough without the stroller situation. If I saw abuse I would certainly report it. If you don't report it, you are damaging the hobby as bad as the abuser is.