FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ben Siegel Incident
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Teatime
I agree that it should be a matter of personal responsibility, but I'm really interested to see if this will have an impact on future events like this. It's sad that someone is dead after what should have been a fun event, but here's the words of someone who also participated in the competition:

Quote:
I too was a participant that evening. I competed side by side with Eddie. He was an amazing competitor and put on a great show for us all. When I found out I was shocked and devastated. No one there thought something so terrible would come to pass. We were all there for a great time, some laughs, and of course snakes. I didn't have the chance of knowing Eddie personally but with the few short words we did exchange, he was a very nice and personable individual. I don't feel right by placing blame on anyone. We all knew what we were getting ourselves into. I don't think it's fair for people to view the herp hobby in a negative light because of this event. Bug eating contests have happened for many many reasons, not just for free snakes. Everyone there was there for a great time. Enough said. Eddie was smiling and having a great time when we competed and spoke later. My prayers and thoughts go out to Eddie's loved ones and family. Eddie I hardly knew ye...may you rest in peace my friend. It was really fun competing with you.
It's post #15 on the topix thread. I think he's probably the most credible to comment, as well as others who were there that night.