FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Working with (& catching!) King Cobras
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Awesome story! I once interviewed for a job in upstate New York working with timber rattlesnakes, which would have been awesome. During the interview I was asked if I had any experience handling venomous snakes. I actually chuckled and told them I had no reason to mess with them before, so why point a loaded gun at my head? Would I be confident handling them? Sure. Careful as all get out, of course! Do I know how to safely handle them? Yep. But I thought that was a pretty silly question considering they had my CV and venomous reptile was nowhere on it.
Thanks for the kind words and interesting story. Not sure if this applied in your situation, but in the zoo field, we sometimes ask applicants about venomous experience to weed out people who are "too" fixated on them, or who might be prone to engaging in illegal activities and bringing bad publicity to the zoo (i.e. they are illegal to keep in NYC). Most serious herpers are interested in venomous snakes as part of the overall field, but unfortunately there's a small percentage who create dangers for others by taking chances, not having access to antivenin, etc. Not saying this applies to everyone, of course, but just a tip to keep in mind if you apply for a herp job in the future. Enjoy, best, Frank