FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections.
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Probably a long-shot, but....
What if, when a non-paying member attempts to reply, they get a pop-up type thing that says "Non-paying members cannot reply within the ad. Please contact the seller via pm with any questions". If they're interested in the animal, it wouldn't be off-putting. If they're trolling to gripe about price, etc. it wouldn't give them the attention they're looking for.

Noelle
I agree - the current message states that the user doesn't have permission to access the page, and mentions the possibility that an admin has taken action against their account (a lot of the inquiries indicate that people believe this to be the case, and that the limitation is due to some random infraction). If the message could be adjusted, it would help people's understanding.
The problem with this is that the vBulletin code uses templates for many of it's functions, which are used globally in all pages. Which is why the text in many of them are pretty generic sounding. Many of the error displays can be triggered by several conditions and not by a single condition, so yes, it can be confusing to some people.

So modifying a template affects the entire site. Just adding more text to the specific template may help, but I'm not at all confident that many people will take the time to actually READ what it says. At least based on prior history. Heck, I put a notice in the CONTACT US link to try to direct people to check the FEEDBACK FORUM before contacting me, and the number of people who are still asking questions that are obviously answered in the FEEDBACK FORUM is discouraging, to say the least. Apparently some people believe that my time is less valuable than theirs is, so I should be perfectly willing to spend my time to answer them, since they do not wish to spend their own time seeking the answer to their question. I suppose it just pisses them off when I reply to their emails with "Please check the Feedback Forum on the site."