FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The Most Dangerous Snake in the USA? Rattlesnake Study Provides Clue
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spencer View Post
Oh boy... where to start. I do not have time for this, yet at the same time I feel compelled to voice my opinion.

I disagree 100% and wholeheartedly in regards to Frank's statement that a private individual cannot have the capability to keep venomous safely. Or what to do in case of a bite.

Many people in the private sector are professionals. Professionally built buildings just for venomous, professional enclosures, professional tools, professional protocols. Permitted for exotics, they keep the proper antivenin on premises. Get invited to do talks, etc. at seminars and even to major universities that specialize in veterinary practice. Isn't this person capable? Of course he/she is.

Others in the private sector are also professionals... curators at zoos for example. That also keep venomous in their private residences. Again, perfectly capable.

Some zoos are private. I know a couple that specialize in venomous and they are world class and renowned as such. Would the people here be capable? Yes.

Some in the private sector are merely hobbyists. That use professional enclosures, tools, protocols. Here in Ca., hobbyists are only allowed to keep native crotalids (except for crotalus ruber, as of last year). The hospitals keep the antivenin which is the same for all the native crotes here.. If a hobbyist knows what he/she is doing, has all the proper equipment, training, protocols in effect then a bite should never happen. And if one was to happen, the protocol is the same as any professional would do. Capable.

Obviously there are a lot of people who shouldn't have venomous. But there are people who should not drive a vehicle, own a firearm, or even walk the streets freely. These are NOT the type of people I am talking about.

Everyone needs to know their limitations, as with anything in life. But to state that nobody in the private sector can safely and properly possess venomous is just plain untrue.

Regards,
Greg
As mentioned, much, much more to it than having antivenin...even if available...zoos no longer allow treatment on site, as possibility of anaphylactic shock too high (allergies to horse serum very common; serum varies greatly by batch in it's ability to cause reactions), as well as the chance for innumerable other complications that neither I nor other non-medical professionals are aware of or can deal with; need trained people on site to begin first aid, transport to hospital (standard procedure in reputable zoos is to ring alarm and lie down in safe location), capture/kill snake if needed; need access to cutting edge research due to venom evolution concerns (this bears on comment that hosp. keep antivenin that is same for all natives); impossible to count on hosp. supplies in any event as as antivenin will be shipped to where needed when a bite occurs and may not be available at time; and so on...but, again as mentioned, I've been down this road many, many times over many many years, have heard all of the justifications raised thus far, and many more, and have no illusions re the possibility that my experience and education will do much to dissuade the average person intent on keeping venomous snakes; I'll try to send a link, if I can locate it, to another forum where I wrote at greater length (then threw up my hands in frustration!), but if the above is not sufficient then I don't feel there;'s much point in my going on further. best, Frank