FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Carrot Tails
Thread: Carrot Tails
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #42
KelliH
Quote:
How can you tell if a Leo has Ray Hines blood in it?
Well, they just have a certain look to them... Now granted even some of the animals I produce from Ray Hine line carrot tails I do not classify as a "carrot tail".. Example-
carrot tail-

non carrot tail (in this case a hypo tang)-

Now while both of those geckos have the same dad (he was a SHTCT), the second one I would not classify as a carrot tail. Why? It has spotting on the body and all the way up to the tail base. I guess Jeanne it would have to be up to each individual breeder to classify their geckos! You know the bloodline of yout geckos better than us..however even if the particular gecko in question DID have Hine blood in it, I would not classify it as a hypo carrot tail, just my opinion. I am certainly not the be all/end all when it comes to this stuff, but seem to know a little more about it than most.
Quote:
if i remember correctly , all of the color-morphs were selectively bred starting from the normal and high-yellow morph
You remember incorrectly.

Quote:
guess what came from high yellow ? lol tangerines hypos and carrottails
Sorry Dan but that's wrong. Hypo Carrot Tails originated from Ray Hine in the UK, and his adults originated from a poulation of wild hypos/super hypos. They are a distinct bloodline, different from the selectively bred tangerines and hypo tangerines.

Quote:
so to say that any of these "bloodlines" are unrelated by any means is just wishfull thinking
Wrong again. See above.

Quote:
but to say they are soooo different bloodwise ....just sounds silly ! we all know that all colors, patterns, and even the albinos cropped up from "normal" or wild caught colonies
Yeah, the carrot tails did come from wild caught adults.. however they are a relatively new bloodline. I cannot remember off the top of my head what year it was that Hine imported those adults but it hasn't been very long ago...maybe the late 1990's.

Do some research on it, email Ray Hine if you would like to Dan. Maybe you could give a little credit to me, that I actually may know what I am talking about on this stuff..LOL. I mean I just posted pics in an earlier post of my first hypo carrot tails that I got in 2001..I think I know the history of the bloodline pretty well.