FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Locally wild caught specimens?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg View Post

would it make a difference if the animal is native or exotic? i dont really know the local laws around here but neither are the signal hill parks' ponds overrun with abandoned reptilian pets that i noticed of, either. (the airways, another story as theres no shortage of noisy screechy quaker and ringneck keets!)

i could understand picking up an abandoned sulcata trying to cross the road, but would it be legal to take it home and become its new owner? what about the same done with a Western painted turtle, a Pacific pond turtle, or a Desert tortoise(official reptile of California state!)??
Well, each state is different of course and California has rules to follow as well.

Sulcata isn't native so finding it a place to live would be the correct course of action. So the state has not interest in keeping it roaming the streets. So if that did occur, find it a home.

Most turtles can be taken with a fishing license. There are bag limits and possession limits depending on species.

That's just for possessing them not selling, trading them.

That goes for all natives if you don't have a propagation permit for commercial or noncommercial propagation for the few species of reptiles allowed. IF you produce offspring and go over your limit you are required to transfer them to another person or institution within a set time frame.

Here in California we do make some exceptions under the captive propagation permitting process. I don't believe (at least the last time I checked which was has been a long time, 7+ years ) that there is any turtles covered under the captive propagation permit.

One last note. Under zero circumstances can you take a desert tortoise from the wild.

However, there is a very straight forward program to adopt captive desert tortoises which can't be released, sold or traded. Only gifted and then the new owner is required to obtain the permit as well.