FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - For Sale Rare Hypo Type Asian Turtle Appears To Be Female.
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatwinturbo View Post
Because the guy bought normal Pelodiscus spp. In China town for x dollars a pound, saw one was a little lighter, and is trying to pass it off as a morph. It's normal. There's nothing special about it. These things are sold in food markets, where they're kept on ice, and pretty much never survive...so yes, it all matters. If anyone wants one of these, drive to your nearest China town, and pay less that $20 each. I bought 2 pairs in January for $60. They did great for a month, and one by one they died. This is the story of China town Pelodiscus, and everyone tells a similar one.
Yes and no.

It is lighter than other normals. By definition, it has less melanin or a different form of melanin. Hence "hypo type" is not entirely out of line as a descriptor. I would have just called it lighter in shade than others in its general company. Is it heritable? I cannot say. I doubt it. Do I care? Not so much in the face of countless pastels and non-heritable "hypo" animals that are sold in RES and CST arenas for relative premiums. Parallels without arm-raising exist in other turtle contexts.

In the markets I have visited, they are kept in a live tank (sometimes with and sometimes beside bullfrogs) and not on ice, although many have fungal issues and most not eaten do indeed die. Everyone includes me and the story I have to tell is not quite what you have described (kept on ice).