FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Green Tree Pythons
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
PythonMan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I don't keep GTPs so I won't comment on them specifically, but I will say a little something about locality animals, specifically how to know the locality of your animal. Bottom line, the only way to know the locality of an animal is to A) know where it was collected B) know what it's parents were. You can't go based on the animal's appearance alone. For example, you may have two animals, one is a pure Biak, the other is 75% Biak 25% PNG. They may look identical. Crossbred animals can end up looking like either parent, somewhere in between, or like neither of them. No animal should be sold or represented as a locality animal unless it's collection site or lineage is known. Many sellers represent animals without locality data as (locality)-type. For example, an animal of unknown lineage that looks like a Biak may honestly be represented as Biak-type. This works great if you are just seeking an animal with a specific look, but if it's important to you to have true locality animals, you must buy from a reputable seller that knows exactly what they have.
Thank you for the info! I'm not sure which locality I'm seeking. Since it will be my first when I do pick one up someday, I'm not sure I'll care as much about locality so much as gaining the experience of caring for and interacting with one on a consistent basis.