FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bite Club
Thread: Bite Club
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #61
Sasheena
More notable bites....

Once (and never again) I bought ten "bush baby" ball pythons. When they arrived I pulled them tick/mite ridden and everything out of the bag one at a time to put them in their separate enclosures. I got to snake #9, pulled her out, she took one look around the room and WHAM.... Bit me right on the nose... i had a perfect snakey dental impression on both sides of my nose.... bled like anything too!

Another time I was feeding the classroom pets (I'm a school teacher) and I pulled out one of my pair of corns to feed in a separate enclosure. I guess she was hungry, she opened her mouth and proceeded to try to eat my thumb in front of a class full of students. Now the students won't hold the snakes if they are "hungry".

Most the bites I get are from little hatchlings.. I can't help but think: "You're a little worm!" but they are so cute when they are that little and trying to scare you and impress you with how tough they are. I used to have one Apalachicola Kingsnake who would bite every time I opened the cage. He was convinced I was a mouse, no telling him different. For him I kept a bottle of rubbing alcohol near his cage. If he nabbed me I would soak a cotton ball in the alcohol and put that right near his mouth so the fumes would waft into his mouth... he always let go. When in doubt about the meanness of a snake, I keep alcohol around... gets them to let go.

Funny thing about the Apalachicola bites (I get this from the daughter of the one mean guy... who passed on)... they always cause a skin reaction... gets all red and itchy for about two hours. Must be something in their saliva I'm allergic to!