FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Greeting From Lake Orion Michigan
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWieczerza View Post
Unless you are really trustworthy of your importer, buy from a trusted chondro breeder in the US. Daytona NRBC is a great place to find CBB good genetics.
Thanks so much for that information. I was hoping to purchase a C.B.B. animal. Not a W.C. or farmed animal.

Quote:
And by good genetics I mean not only color but vigor.
It's kind of funny/ironic you mention the color part. Since, all my animals are wild type/natural coloration. Do not get me wrong, I do love a pretty animal. I just prefer the animals that are pretty via mother nature. I am not sure if that actually makes sense. If you want, I will gladly rephrase.

Quote:
Chondros are notorious for getting respiratory infections when the temps swing and the humidity crashes. It happens.
That is pretty much what I had heard/read. This is also what makes me NOT want one. I do not handle death well, plus, I am scared of killing my specimen on accident.

I would also love a Morelia spilota . Do you think a C.B.B. one is a hardier captive? Well, a significantly hardier captive?

Quote:
But some genetics are more resilient to infection and have stronger immune systems and better muscle tone.
Are you aware of any breeders with the above genetics other then the one you mentioned?

Quote:
Those are the genetics you want to keep and breed. 3rd generation CBB chondros are worth the price in the long run.
I completely agree. Since, well, any animal that lives and eats well, makes me very very happy!!

Quote:
It is a Chondro, treat it like a valuable investment!
I completely, absolutely, and wholeheartedly agree!!

Quote:
Make sure your cage is setup and the thermostats and humidity gauges are working and cycling before bringing one home.
Thats a fantastic point.

Quote:
That's most people's biggest mistake.
I have unfortunately made that mistake with other species. I did NOT want to make it with my Chrondo.

Quote:
If you have to order online or need to save $$ and get an import I recommend Underground Reptiles.
I would much rather save more money and get a C.B.B. specimen.

Quote:
They have ads on here.
That is for sure!!

Quote:
They get farm raised imports that are usually around $200-$300 and are great for starter snakes to learn their routine/environment/behavior etc.
That is very interesting. If I did go that route, how likely is it the specimen would survive? In the long term, I mean.

Quote:
The terrapins I got super lucky with. My buddy's dad owns a pet store and they had someone drop off a bunch for $20 each.
Wow, that is indeed lucky. If they ever have anymore, please let me know. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Quote:
I think they are notherns, very nice nonetheless.
Mine are just northerns as well. I agree they are very nice nonetheless. If you want to see mine, this is the thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=618036 .

Quote:
The best ones are in Asia
Please stay around this forum for for a very very very long time. Your rock!!

Quote:
He hooked me up at price and they are the most personable turtle species I have worked with. Super friendly curious fearless terps!
I agree they are extremely personable and fearless. What do you feed yours? What size did you acquire your specimens at? How long have you had yours?

Quote:
The plants are a handle! I had to take classes. It's a lot to learn. I can give basic tips and suggestions though. Always like to help people grow their own produce. Organic dry fertilizers are the way to go for flavor. That bottles stuff is literally lab made chemicals and water. I love seabird guanos. Very good and cheap to use, not mined out of caves like bat guano. Sourced from beaches. I like coco fiber for the same reason. Not mined, sources from beach scraps.
I see regarding the plants. I have never put in the time to learn about them. Let alone take classes. Your very dedicated. Which, in my humble opinion is amazing.

Quote:
Anything I can answer I will be happy to do my best!
I am glad you do not mind questions. Since, I left you many more questions.

My last question, for the night is: do you know anyone or do you have any experience with Dracaena guianensis? That is my other dream reptile. Well, realistic, dream reptile!