FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Venomoid in/near Indiana?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #48
hotlips
I don't take young (small) snakes, that's true. Several reasons: far more fragile, and also, handling can easily over-heat your snakes, even in a bldg. with A/C. Never forget we are 98.6*, which is too warm for some snakes, especially with extensive handling.
Programs are important, but the safety & well-being of your snakes is always first.

Corn snakes need to be cooler than boas & pythons, but my adult corns do very well, & their beauty is impressive. Milk snakes- many are very nervous, so be careful, even once they're bigger. (You might just take one but keep it in a plastic critter cottage to see, not touch or handle.) These days my largest snakes are 6.5-7' yellow (FL) rat snakes & the smallest one I take is an adult Aussie spotted python- the mix helps because some ppl are more afraid of either large OR the small* ones. (*go figure?)

Start small, see how it goes... I know our local library routinely focuses on different things, dinosaurs, space...see if they have a reptiles focus planned, or if they'd like to? Maybe they never have because they have no 'props'...you might be just the inspiration they need. Last year I joined in with our library for the children's story-time...they were read a couple stories with snake themes, then I did a show/tell, then they did crafts related to snakes. I really prefer talking to adults, but all ages need the education. At a library, you'll find adults leaning into the room too, lol...it's all good.