FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Thermal imaging
Thread: Thermal imaging
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Are you allowed to hunt pigs with infrared at night, Rich, like we are in Georgia (on private property anyway)? I think the monocle in combination with an infrared scope would be pretty handy to take out some vermin.

Also, very nice car! Wanna trade a 1999 Honda Accord with a slipping transmission for it? Haha!
I'm not sure. There seems to be a stark dividing line in Florida between animals arbitrarily considered as "game" and animals considered as "nuisance animals". I'm not sure what laws are on the books concerning night hunting, but I would think in the case of nuisance animals on your own property that there would be a lot of leeway. Or more likely, a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of attitude. In my opinion, the less involvement anyone has with FWCC, the better.

I've looked at the thermal imaging devices set up as rifle scopes, and they are still rather pricey. I guess because they would need to be higher resolution devices so you could recognize your target at distance, plus they need to be designed to survive the recoil impulse of a rifle. I can see a lot of interesting applications for thermal imaging, but can't see buying a separate unit for each of the applications that come to mind. From what I have been able to determine, there doesn't appear to be a single device that can do everything, however. Heck, I would really like to mount a thermal image device to my drone. Something like that would be immensely useful for people to use in search and rescue operations. I have seen some drones available with thermal imaging, but of course, they are rather expensive. Not to mention, the idea of having something that cost you many thousands of dollars up in the air and running the risk of it either crashing or flying away to parts unknown is pretty hard to swallow. Drone technology is getting better and apparently more reliable, but certainly not risk free yet.

Anyway, the thermal imaging device I bought is certainly intriguing, but deficient in several ways once I become more familiar with it. As a general purpose tool, I think it is something that most people inclined to do DIY projects could find a good reason for having in their toolbox. Even the lowest resolution ones (ie: cheapest) can be put to good use if you don't set your expectations too high. You can still see things you couldn't see otherwise.

As for the trade offer, thank you, you are too generous. But I believe I will pass. At least for now. You surely wouldn't want a car with a noisy clutch, now would you?