FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - salamander hibernation
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
Imchet
I have four marbled newt efts, they are in 16x17x18" enclosure which I know is on the small side. My room temperature is around 75F thier average humidity in their habitat is around 75%. They are on a timed misting system which mists for ten seconds four times daily. Lately it's been a little warmer and I've noticed some of them are hanging out on the leaves of plants above the surface, one of them is just really shy and I only see him once a week or so. I have areas where the sphagnum Moss layer is quite thick and sometimes they do like to burrow in. I suspect it's probably for controlling their temperature etc. Ideally it would be good to keep their habitat closer to 70° or below. At some point I might look at adding either a chiller or a Peltier based cooling system. I'm wiring up some small fans today to improve circulation hopefully to lower humidity a little and decrease temperature a little, I expect I may need to mist a little more frequently with this change but expect to have slightly lower temperatures. It's my understanding that sustained temperatures approaching 80° or more are dangerous or stressful. My goal would be to keep them at around 65 to 70 degrees. If your temps regularly exceed 75 degrees, I would agree that temperature could be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk