FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The No-Insults Hybridization Debate
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #22
Uncloudy
Wink

I just believe all reptiles need to represented correctly of their heiritage reguardless of whether the reptile in question is a hybrid, pure, locality, morph, or intergrade.
The messing up of a gene pool or pure species can be done on many fronts besides hybridization. To this date I'm sure more gene pools of pure snakes have been tainted by people trying to morph specific applealing traits than hybrids.
What to me it really comes down to is the responsibility of hobbists(like me), breeders, dealers, and importers to practice proper ethics and morals in representation of a any reptiles lineage. I think Sasheena mentioned in a earlier post like what the AKC does with certification of dogs as representatives of a specific breed. That type of certification is probably a pipe dream in the reptile world and urealistic since our hobby isn't mainstream or has the funds or popular support for this. I could imagine an American Reptile Club (ARC) having snake shows where reptiles are judged to represent to best example of that species and just how many dogs were hybrids over many generations there eventually be spot for them.
As a small time hobbiest who doesn't breed why can't I own somethings different and unique?
I stradle the fence on this subject because I can see both points of view and the pros and cons of hybridization. Then I look at the Jaguar Carpets or I have to agree with someone else that the Pyroxcornxking cross is an attraction snake to me, maybe I would like to own one. Isn't it my choice and freedom to do so? As long as people are honest and responsible and the snake in question hybrid or not is properly represented of it's linage/heritage it's an individual choice. It looks like hybrids are here and they are going to stay and some people are excited about the possibilities of what can or may be. I still enjoy local specific and pure species like my Brazilian Rainbow Boa and San Luis Potosi mexican kingsnake (from Applegate lineage) just as much as I would enjoy to have a properly represented unique hybrid in my small humble collection. Like I said I can see both points of view and can emphasize each side of the issue, but I have come to my own conclusion and that is to do or have whatever I want in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110191.JPG (81.4 KB, 106 views)