FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Connie (Mrs. WebSlave)
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 11:10 PM   #25
WebSlave
Well, today was a mixed bag. Got Connie to Radiology Associates and they took her right in. Wouldn't let me in the operating room, though. But the procedure seemed to go smoothly. They said they were limited in the amount of fluid they could extract, so I am not sure exactly what that meant. Last time it was 2.6 liters. They did do another chest x-ray afterwards, and seemed satisfied with what they did extract. During the meeting with the oncologist, we discussed this and she said this is not unusual. It normally takes about 3 weeks after chemotherapy starts to cease with the lung sac renewing the fluid, so since Connie's first treatment was just a week ago, I guess it is possible she may have another episode to go through with this fluid extraction thing. It is only her right lung, so the oncologist says this usually rules out congestive heart problems, since that affects both lungs equally. And they did do an ultrasound of Connie's heart while she was in the hospital and that apparently came out OK.

Connie only had one of the three chemo drugs she is due to be taking in that first session. One of the drugs they held off on because it is not advised to be used within three weeks of surgery. And Connie's surgery fell well within that time period. So that will be started at the next session on June 1. The other drug, Taxol (sp?) caused her a pretty bad reaction so they had to terminate administering it. I think I mentioned what happened then somewhere above. They have an alternative drug to use, but the oncologist told me they do not store the chemo drugs on hand, so they have to order them for each session requiring them. So Connie will be starting that new drug next session as well. So that means three chemicals being pumped into her system. They may have to physically throw me out of the infusion room, because I definitely want to be there to watch over her.

Anyway, things seemed to be going a lot better today than I thought they would. But something happened. I took the trash out to the garage, and when I came back in I could tell Connie was all upset about something. Apparently her family is about to drive her crazy. I know they are all upset about this too, but one is trying to set up some sort of group texting method so Connie can text everyone at once. But some don't want to be part of such a group, and want the personal touch of one on one. Then some that Connie hasn't heard from in quite a while are pissed because they aren't on the list. And then one relative wants Connie to do something on some web page called "Caring Bridge" or something like that. And others want her to open up a facebook page. Basically turning this all into some kind of circus. Connie doesn't want any of that sort of crap. And it got her highly agitated. She checked her blood pulse rate and at one point it hit 199 bpm. It was fluctuating all over the place and I could see the pulse was erratic with no steady rhythm. Damn, THAT had me worried. I thought I was watching her in the beginning stages of a heart attack. We checked her blood pressure and it was fine, but the pulse rate then was still 134 bpm. I asked her if she wanted one of my valiums. She really doesn't like any sort of drugs, but I told her that if we didn't get that pulse rate down I was either going to have to take her to the ER or call for an ambulance. I also contacted the oncology nurse about this, and her first response was to take her to the ER. I videoed the pulse rate monitor and took a photo of the blood pressure gauge. Connie did take a valium (2mg), and the pulse rate did come down after a bit after I did my best trying to calm her down. Shutting off the damned call phone was the first step. I put on some soothing music while she tried to clear her mind and maybe nap a bit. I know she REALLY didn't want to go to the ER, and I sure didn't want to have to take her there.

I made her a bowl of pineapple chunks and then she asked for another valium. Meanwhile I was keeping the oncology nurse informed on what was going on. Eventually her pulse did drop down below 80, but it still looks a bit erratic to me. The valiums were making her drowsy, so I put her into her recliner, and am hoping tomorrow she will be feeling better and her numbers looking more normal.

I didn't tell her but when I was walking over to the garage to get the Jeep to take her to her appointments, I had some really sharp pains in my chest. I know she would just worry about me, but my attitude is that no, I can't have anything happen to me. And I REFUSE to allow it. Even if my heart stops, I have to keep on going. Who else would take care of her? Probably just my own form of stress, but I have to say I didn't take any valiums myself today. When her blood pulse was skyrocketing, I almost did, but heck, I can't be spaced out if I have to run her to the emergency room.

Got to get up early tomorrow to run her back to the oncology facility. They are going to draw blood to see how the chemo is doing for her. We are probably going to be putting more mileage on the Jeep over the next few months than we have in the past few years just running to doctor appts. and such.

I should get to bed now, but I have found it best to wait until Connie has to pee, otherwise I would likely just hit the pillow and start drifting off when the urge would hit her. She still can't get in and out of that recliner by herself.

Am I forgetting anything? I am scared to death I am going to lock myself out of the house or one of the vehicles at one of the appointments. I know my mind isn't functioning all that well.