FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The No-Insults Hybridization Debate
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #50
DragonCharm
One problem seen in the tropical fish world with the arrival of hybrids is a complete muddying of the market. Often times a hybrid fish (that still looks a lot like one of the parents) is sold as the same type as one of the parents and not as a hybrid. Example would be Flowerhorns being sold as Trimacs. Flowerhorns are often a complete mystery, many times after a few generations you end up with way more than 2 species mixed in to get desired shapes and colors. It is more often than not impossible to guess the lineage or what "paint" went into the mix. I fear reptiles will go this way in the future.

If 2 animals hybridize in nature that's the way mother nature intended and may contribute to an evolutionary process. It happens due to natural forces and is part of the "plan," something that happened as a step in the chain. I don't think it's right to have hobbyists doing the mixing, it should occur naturally. Now if there is a natural mixing I don't see why we can propogate those hybrids in captivity.