FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 2005 Season Results
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
Sasheena
Update...

My pipping babies are doing great, all poking their heads out.... 3 eggs doing great. One egg started to sweat however, so I decided to open it up. What I saw inside looked "peculiar" and after tossing around options I decided to investigate. The baby had perished perhaps 5 to 15 days ago, is my guess. It was very peculiar in shape... it's little mouth was open or it didn't have a lower jaw. (I didn't note which it was) and it was in a very tight loop... perhaps it's a developmental stage of snakes, not sure, but in any case, I thought it was interesting to look at. I'll post pictures if they turned out.

My "sweating clutch" (which I've been informed over on kingsnake.com is due to my being "dumb" and keeping my clutch too moist?) is looking pretty bad. Two eggs aren't sweating, but the rest look doomed. I opened up one more egg and while I didn't take pictures, I found the same thing. I was told over on kingsnake that the pictures of my last egg I opened had red blood vessels which indicated that the animal was alive when I killed it by opening up the egg, however I do not quite agree. It had perished. And the one I opened up this evening while having one single blood vessel had no other signs of vessels and appeared to have been dead some time, even though the innards of the egg were actually much closer to looking like a viable egg than an expired egg. I'll wait until tomorrow to open the others if I feel they need it.

The rest of my eggs are doing great. I'm very much looking forward to my three hatchlings and the impending clutches that WILL make it.