FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - need help for my new baby
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Tere Salazar
Beardie Baby

From what I've read, they should have all the crickets they can eat in a five minute period. The exact number can change depending on thier size. To start off with this, try feeding him in a Rubbermaid tub so his cage won't stay full of crickets...because the crickets can munch on the baby at night and cause little bite marks and stress to the baby. That way, you can get an idea of how much he will eat. Anyway, the crickets need to be dusted with plenty of calcium.

You should also offer him a "salad" of greens (mustard, turnip, collard, etc.) on a daily basis. I typically use a food processor to chop the dragon veggies. I just pile that on top of the salad. The veggies that my dragons enjoy are squash (all kinds), yams, bell peppers, green peas. They also love all kinds of fruit, but the citrus variety will tend to give them the runs. There is a really good list of dietary needs on www.beautifuldragons.com. I would highly recommend that you check out this website.

The baby should also be given baths to keep it hydrated about 2 times a week. Just run an 85 degree bath that comes to his shoulders and let him soak.

As for the substrate, the baby should be big enough to be on washed, sifted playsand. In our area, Home Depot carries a 50 pound bag for $5 that is really pretty and white. As long as the baby is well hydrated, impaction should not be an issue.

Baby also needs to stay very warm...about 105 degrees on the basking spot. If you don't have a digital thermometer, you may want to get one. They run about $8. The cool side of the baby's tank should be about 90 degrees. He will also need UVB light, which can be provided by a flourescent bulb over the basking spot. Many different styles are available, and a great place to save money is www.reptiledirect.com.

Everything that I've told you about is exactly what I practice for my dragons, all 60 of them. They are all healthy and happy, as I'm sure your little guy will be because you care enough about him to try to find out the proper husbandry for him! Hopefully, this will help you out a little bit.