FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Potential Refund Issue Arising, Looking for Advice/Opinions.
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
RyanT
Potential Refund Issue Arising, Looking for Advice/Opinions.

This should be the right board for this, instead of the BOI. Long story short, I had a guy email me back in July about wanting to buy some snakes I had. He said he would need them shipped to Upstate New York. I said no problem at all. He sends me $500 as a down payment, then later informs me he's really in Canada. Now 2 problems, one I already forwarded the money from my PayPal account to another guy I owed some money to. And two, I'm not shipping to Canada. Did it once before and it was a huge mess. Domestic sales only. Understanding the situation he had put himself in, I said if I could sell the snakes soon, I would refund his money. (Although, I really have no obligation to do that since he's the one who totally screwed up).

Well, now 4 months later, the snakes in question are gone. I traded them, didn't sell them. And he's emailing me wanting me to send him a "cheque" for his $500. I told him basically that it's not gonna happen and why. I would have gladly refunded the money he pissed away a few months ago if I could have. But it didn't work out that way. I've described this situation to at least 10 people who say I am not responsible in any way for his screw up. Just want to see how many other people believe the same thing, or not. If I'm wrong, tell me. But I personally don't see why I'm obligated at all to go out of my way to make up for him lying about where he lived and then making a stupid mistake. If he would have said from the beginning he was in Canada, that would have been the end of it. Any opinions are appreciated and I also figured this is something we could all learn from. Thanks alot. Ryan.